17Inch on LR3 (HSE V8)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostdog

Reaction score
I am considering putting new wheels (and tires) on my LR3 as I want to make it more offroad capable.

On a couple of Land Rover forums, I have read threads saying 17inch wheels won't fit.
But my original LR3 manual says "7J x 17 (alloy wheel)" as wheel types are listed, along with 18" and 19".

Has anyone actually installed 17" wheels on LR3?
Or tried and failed?

I even called a Landrover dealer and he thought it should fit. But I don't fully trust is answer and I do not want to risk getting stuck with 5 wheels I cant use...

My LR3 is 2006, coil converted, considering lifting it to leave more space for bigger tires.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who did that.....he had to swap his brake calipers out for the V6 ones.

Ghostdog

Reaction score
Okay, I see, so the manual could be for the V6 and V8 together, and that is why its misleading. I guess I could find a random 17", borrow it and see if it fits, before buying 5 with tires.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to swap the rotors and caliper carriers for the V6 ones. A 17” wheel won’t fit unless you do.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep....so borrowing a random 17" rim (not sure how that is going to ever happen) is going to be a waste of time. I'm not musing here; I KNOW that you have to swap the brake components. A buddy of mine has done this and he stated that it's required. Hell....at one point I used non-LR 18s and I had to grind down parts of my calipers.

Ghostdog

Reaction score
All good, I will go with 18inch, the manual saying 17inch was okay just threw me.
Trust the forum not the manual...

(I had a friend just get new 18 inch, who had some 17inch leftover - that is how the borrowing of a 17inch was gonna work, different car though :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM