2012 HSE 5.0 V8 Engine Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Androomantoo

Reaction score
Well after spending most of the day replacing the rear crossover pipe, the y-pipe, thermostat housing, water pump, oil cooler pipe, and intake manifold everything is perfect.

It was the variable intake runner butterflies in the original intake. The used intake from a 2013 RRS cured the knock/rattle completely.

I can only surmise one of the butterflies broke free from the shaft and would rattle when they were closed and quiet down when open.

Cutting the intake open for a deep inspection will come later when I get some more free time. That intake is essentially trash now due to the variable runner system being bonded to the rear of the intake. I might as well cut it open and rummage around.

Woooooohoooooo!!!!!!!

Now to start saving for the timing chain overhaul this fall…

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Keep us updated! My car has some intake noise that I've been curious about for a while, and sounds somewhat similar to your video, but not as loud. Maybe I'll do some investigating in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV