2006 LR3 Parking Brake inoperative...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corstrat

Reaction score
Recently bought a 2006 Land Rover LR3. Took the car for inspection today and failed due to the Electric Parking (Emergency) brake not working. Since it has an automatic transmission and I live in a flat area, I never have tried using the brake since I owned the car.

There are no warning lights showing. Just when I pull up or push down on the center console lever, nothing happens. When I search the forums and the net, I get a lot of feedback for problems with the brake, but all seem to have to do with either the brake sticking or some trouble lights showing. This problem is just a "limp" lever that does nothing?

Any quick ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'06 LR3 - For me, my EPB started 'howling' when I engaged it and I had to replace it. The unit engages the parking brake shoes which were frozen. I had to replace the whole unit, I think all-in it was around $900.

corstrat

Reaction score
'06 LR3 - For me, my EPB started 'howling' when I engaged it and I had to replace it. The unit engages the parking brake shoes which were frozen. I had to replace the whole unit, I think all-in it was around $900.

I appreciate the answer, but in my case the lever is doing nothing, There is no noise, The brakes are not engaged and are free. It is as if there is no connection between the lever and the brakes.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a parking break module (black box) under the car between the rear tires. According to my mechanic, they do go and they're expensive (about a grand) to replace. If you can find the box, I suppose you can also check the wires going into it for damage. Allegedly there is a known problem with the wire ends and some way they were wound during initial manufacture, but unfortunately I don't know the details.

Mine was giving me error codes so I just stopped using it. I throw it on every once in a while just to make sure it works. I don't get any more error codes.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet someone unplugged the switch. Or the fuse is blown

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member