2014 LCA bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianTN

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted before but have read a lot of various threads. I have seen posts about LCA bushings wearing out, but after noticing 4 drops of what had the look and feel of used engine oil, I slid underneath and the drops seem to be coming from the rear bushing on the front passenger LCA. I cannot see an oil leak, the oil cap and filter housing are dry, and the engine oil level has stayed at max. We had the 75k mile service at the dealer about 1k miles ago and they did not mention anything about abnormal wear. It seems to drive fine and I do not notice any odd noises/vibrations. My wife drives it primarily though. We purchased it about 14 months ago and it was a CPO with warranty till 100k. Unfortunately, if it is needed, the closest LR dealer is 1 hour away.

I usually perform my own maintenance including on my mother's Disco 1, but I was wondering if this is a common problem for LCA bushings on the LR4. I haven't had a chance to take off the tire and look closer but appreciate any responses until I can.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your bushings are shot. They are fluid-filled, and puking their guts is a sign they have gone. If you haven't noticed them being shot yet, you will soon enough. Seems like 75k miles is around when they go.

Your CPO warranty will in all likelihood not cover them as they are considered a "wear" item. Neither of the two dealers within 3 hours of me would. If you have a dealer do the work, it will run between $1600 and $2,000, including alignment.

I have a local mechanic who lets me supply my own parts, and I had it done for around $800, including alignment.

The most recommended way to do it (and the way any shop will want to do it) is to replace the entire lower control arm. Doing that, you get 2 new bushings and a new ball joint, as well as saved labor cost in not having to torch out the old bushing. The only downside is the parts cost more (obviously).

The job is doable for a DIYer, but still a major PITA. So much so that when my mechanic quoted me a little under $300 in labor, it was a no-brainer to have him do it. Regardless, search youtube for videos on it. It is the exact same procedure as an LR3, so I believe almost all the videos are of the job being done on an LR3.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signs you may begin noticing are clunks when you brake from around 15 mph or drive over a speed bump, shimmy in the steering wheel when you brake or accelerate on the highway, and other general looseness in the steering.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In SC you are probably fine (unless you are right on the ocean living in salt air) but some of the suspension bolts can get rusted/stuck to the point they need to be torched off. Just something to consider when contemplating if it is a DIY project.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checking... the part numbers for front LCA's are LR073369 (left) and LR073367 (right), correct? If so, looks like those are ~$370 each dealer MSRP, or ~$275/ea at discount dealers. The OE / Genuine LCA's are made in UK.

There are some cheap off-brand aftermarket LCA's available in the $125-$150 range... but given the labor involved, and alignment cost, it may be false economy to gamble on those.

o_O

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72