22" Wheels Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan Macbeth

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I am hoping that a knowledgeable person who isn't trying to sell me wheels will read this! I have a 2010 Range Rover Supercharged and I am interested in putting on 22" Vossen or HSE wheels. I am concerned about loss of performance, both in acceleration and braking as well as any other negatives I might encounter by changing the factory wheels and tires. I see a lot of Range Rovers Sports with 22" wheels here in Miami and a few full sized models like mine and they look good, to me anyway, but I don't want to mess up the truck just to be cool. If ever I go off road with this thing there will likely be a citation involved, so that's not an issue.

On the truck now are 20" wheels with 255 / 50R 20 (109Y)

I am looking at Toyo 285 / 40R (110)

Thanks,
Ivan

DonnieR32

Reaction score
You will most certainly mess up the performance of the truck. It was designed to look great on street, but more importantly bring luxury with you on off road adventures. Putting 22" wheels will only reduce the amount of tire you have thus reducing the vehicles full potential. Not to mention possible loss in turning radius, loss of suspension travel, and the additional weight which will affect braking. Everyone is entitled to do what they want with their vehicles, but why not just buy a Denali or something like that? Why pay for capabilities you will never use?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not convinced you are going to give up that much performance on the street. Tire selection will be the key to getting what you want, and unfortunatly there aren't many tires in that size to pick from.

The upside to moving up to 22" wheels and the tire size you have selected will be more than cosmetic. The tires you have now are about 30.039" tall and the new ones will be 30.9 to 31.1" tall. You will actually gain about 1/2" of height under your truck.

While this size of tire/wheel combination will add some height to your truck, it won't knock your speedo off too much; it's less than 5% larger. At 60mph your vehicle will actually be going 61.9mph. Keep in mind that it goes up progessivly from there. At an indicated 100mph on the speedo, you will be running close to 104mph.

Performance on a small change like this is kind of a wild card. You are incresing the width of the tire which should mean better performance when cornering. Like wise, the reduction of tire sidewall will add a measure of confidence to cornering as the tire will deflect less than a tire with a taller sidewall. Unfortunatly, these big, tall, HEAVY trucks do tend to wallo a bit on the soft, off-road suspension, so tires aren't going to help with that issue. As a side effect of the lower sidewall, the tires will more than likely ride firmer. This can also mean they follow the crown of the road and rain ruts more. The wheels will also be more suseptable to damage with less rubber to protect them.

Straightline traction will be less noticed off the line but should be marginally improved in braking performance. I doubt that you will notice the difference even in a panic stop.

Not knowing what wheel or tire you are really going with, I will give you the blanket statement that I think the new set of wheels and tires will weigh more than your current set. Bigger wheel, wider, taller tire = more rotational mass and weight. This also means that it will take more gas to get them rolling and more brake pedal to stop them. Like I said before, this is a relativly small change and I don't think you are going to lose that much in these areas.

Besides your spedo being off, you will also travel more miles on your truck than your odometer will track. That's not a bad thing in my mind. but it is somethign to think about. Any computations you make on gas mileage will also be suspect as your indicated miles to empty and miles driven will be wrong.

The real issue will be with off-road adventures. There are no off-road tires in that size. All of the tires you can purchase in that size will be useless off-road as well as extreemly fragile. They should handle a trip to the beach well, but will not give you much flotation if the sand is soft. You shouldn't have any problems with a gravel road or standing water, but other adventures could be disasterous.

In addition to your changing of the tires and wheels, you will also need to think about TPMS. IF you pull them from your current wheels and place them in your new wheels, then no problem. If you don't tear down your current wheels, you will need to purchase them. A set of 4 should be less than $250 and the truck will discover them with out any outside intervention.

I have heard of Vossen before; good brand. HSE??? Did you by chance mean HRE? Those wheels rock and I would love to see your truck when complete with a set of 22s under it. I will throw in here that Redbourne makes some beautiful wheels and they only manufacture them for Land Rovers. All of thier wheels come in 22" in various finishes. I love the Baron's and hope to get some in 20" so I can keep an off-road tire. I'm not affiliated with them in any way shape or form.

Good luck,

Rob

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Tires are one of the few things I know something about.

Rob

Ivan Macbeth

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
Thank you for your response to my 22" wheel question. You have addressed all the angles with knowledge and clarity and without the usual conjecture. Should you tire of whatever you do, an automobile publication would do well to add you to their editorial staff.

You have given me much to think about. Breaking and acceleration were my main concerns. I have decided on HRE wheels. Again I thank you.

Ivan

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ivan,

Great choice on wheels. There are quite a few wheels that I have always wanted to own: HRE, BBS and OZ have always been at the top of my wish list. I have added the Redbourne wheels to the list since I got me Land Rover. Make sure you post a picture of your truck with the new shoes or shoot me a PM or email as I can't wait to see it.

I'm a geek by nature... I work IT but love just about all things automotive as well as some other interest. Tires have long been a passion of mine. I love to contribute what I have, and I appreciate the kind words. I doubt that any publication would want me though, my spelling is horible! They would need too many editors to just make sense of anything I put in type.

Good luck with your wheels and I can't wait to see those new wheels and tires!

Rob

Tony D

Reaction score
Rob,

I thought that when you increase the overall tire size that your speedometer will slow down not speed up? I'm pretty sure that is the case. Great post.

Coop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ivan,
I had a set of Vossen VVS83's on my 2011 LR4 and I really liked the look. The downside however was that I experienced a "clicking" noise in the wheels and had a second set installed only to encounter the same problem again. Turns out that the polished lip is not actually part of the rim but rather a "floating bezel" that attaches to the wheel. This is one of the key features of Vossen and allows for a variety color/finish combinations. As the wheel rotated past a few points on the wheel the "clicking" would occur. After the second set the dealer suggested that the weight of the LR4 may have been an issue and offered to replace with the wheel of my choice. I chose 20" Redbourne Marques in Polished / Gunmetal finish. I felt that the Redbournes fit the overall appearance of the LR a bit better...only my opinion of course. Check out the Rebournes. They are high quality, utilize the OEM lugnuts and center caps and do not look out of place on the LR. Anyway, I am sure that you will choose the wheel that fits your tastes best but I wanted you to know about my experience with Vossen on my LR4.
Take care - Chris

Dobjr1

Reaction score
Hey, I currently have 22" vessel wheels on my rr sport and believe me when I say the on road performance is greatly improved. All in the handling dep't. I also have the toyo tire. What I will say is this. Be prepared to have the spare on and be prepared to replace the tire 2x a year on avg. I live in the northeast so I only end up with them on for half the year. At the end of the winter I'm always excited to put my normal 19" back on because the ride is just so much more comfortable. Vessels are great rimm though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM