265 65 18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since 265 60 18 are on the national Back Order , I would like to weight my options , regarding going a size up to 265 65 18.
As I always had two sets of tires , one for off road and one street oriented ,the Duratrac won't be my daily driver tire .I also don't wear any lifts, electronic and mechanical such as rods and so forth..I never had a need for a bigger tires as our independent suspension raises the whole truck(,always run 265 60 18 and it was sufficient enough to get me out of any situation). if needed to to a acceptable level with diffs and T case nicely tucked in inside the chassis .I understand the need for a bigger tires on solid axles trucks ,as that was the only way to truly lift those low hanging diffs and such.
Since time is running short and I need something by next Thursday , as I am going to a Event in NE , I wanted to know , what are a real life experiences with 265 65 18 Duratracks or any other tires off that size in terms of rubbing,wire harness adjustments and driving on the highways ?
I wanted to mention , that I will be using off road hight setting in most of the cases with usual highway or dirt road approaches to a trail side .Is rubbing marginal or I am risking something else ?
I understand that some of that thread will wear off to a acceptable level , but until then , I wanted to know if trade offs going bigger are worth it ?
Since I don't run any lift sor spacers ,is going on bump stops still drivable ?
Am I risking an ABS senor faults in certain situations ?
Should I move front sensor harness in this case or not ?
Thanks

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most important thing, driving on stops=yes for the 31.5" diameter 265/65x18

next, seriously consider the new bfg at ko2. Better tire overall especially long term. Possibly available in the sizes you'd like ideally too.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought 265 60 18 Duratracks as there was no responses to my post at all and time was all the essence as I was going to a Winter Romp to Maine in love two or three days , so I purchased smaller diameter ,than I originally wanted, LASt set in the Country, due to a national back order. I think F 150 and Dodge uses the same size of tire .Since nobody was responding to my thread , I went on a Johnson Rods tire chart and it says that on any 265 65 18, lift is Required.
265 60 18 Duratracks performed very well in the deep snow, mud and deep water /mud/ice breaking crossings, so overall I am happy.Conditions were cold , -10 ,+ wind , causing lots of ice build up on tire wheels , insane .Did not even had a chance to air down due to just that , could not chip away that much ice to get to air valves .

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I went on a Johnson Rods tire chart and it says that on any 265 65 18, lift is Required.
Not true at all.

That tire size of 31.5" diameter works perfectly fine without a lift. Besides, there is not true "lift" on an air suspension. The vehicle will drop to it's bump stops regardless of shortened sensor rods.

In fact, many people including me, run even the next larger size and do not need a "lift" in order to use the vehicle 100% effectively. My tire now after wearing out a set of 265/65x18 BFG AT KO, is a 32" 275/65x18.

Larger tires like 32" are not requiring a lift, but they do require some fender liner area trimming for clearance turning and during articulation. Faking a lift with rods will not negate the moment when you stuff a tire up into the fender during articulation.

Someone spreading false information simply to gain personal $ should be banned from marketing their products on the forums.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, what kind of tires are you running in the 275/65R18 size?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG KO2 & Michelin LT Winter.

I can roll around parking garages on "access" low mode without any troubles in the upper fender liner.

The real issue with larger than 31.5" is in turning where there may be contact at the front wheel frame "horns" and a little in the rear fender liner if during off road full articulation.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't turn in Access height with my MT/Rs of that size.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest and Houm - what do you guys do for a spare with 275/65r18s? It's my understanding that it's possible to still wedge a deflated 265/65r18 up into the spare tire well, but not the 275/65/18. True? If so, do you carry a spare on the back or up top?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep; I have one that I carry in the boot. It's for six months out of the year when I'm not riding on the stock-sized Nokians. No biggie.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't turn in Access height with my MT/Rs of that size.

Are you using spacers? Which mtr and where does it rub? I know you 'can' turn so you must mean that if you try, it rubs somewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM