4.0 to 4.6 on a RR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colombacho

Reaction score
I just bought a RR '97 4.0 swaped with a 98 4.6 engine and tranny.

i am having a problem with it. the tranny was not going into gear and the truck feels execivly slow. The guy that i bought if from said i neede the XYZ replaced. Took it to an independent shop and they said it was the tranny pump going bad. Then i took it to my friendes tranny place and he tested the pump and said it was ewith in specs.

What i am thinking is that maybe the ECU used was tthe old '97 , or it can be the harness. This comming form the fail/safe mode being taken off and then kiking back in after a little bit.

How would i be able to know if I have the correct ECU and harness for the 4.6 engine+tranny?

Any other suggestions as to what this problem is comming from?

Thanks!:hello:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you got the engine and Tranny ECU from the 98, then you have the correct one.... if you still have your original then I would say that is your issue.

Colombacho

Reaction score
I did not do the swap, so i dont know if it is the correct one.
ive been researching and Land rover does not give any info at all on these trucks.
so...
We played with it for a while, and noticed that after Clearing the codes it goes back into fail/safe mode everytime after a short drive. Also another "code" i got was that there was no TCM?! is it possible?
anyone know where i can find one for decent price?
Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM