99 Discovery II bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tree25

Have had great luck with this vehicle, 77K miles, no probs, but earlier this week it bucked like I was running out of gas while going up a hill, the check engine light came on about a minute later.. The Check engine light went off by itself, but it seems like once a day now the Disco will start bucking back and forth for about 3 or 4 seconds like its struggling and sure enough the Check engine light comes back on shortly thereafter the episode and will stay lit for the rest of the day, but other than the quick episodes of bucking each day it drives perfectly.. When I start the car in the morning the check engine will no longer be on..

Forgive my ignorance, but I know little about cars.. is this the transmission? I bought the vehicle with 60K miles and now its 77k. I fill it with regular gas? After reading the forums I'm wondering if that is not good for the Disco? any insight to my problem would be greatly appreciated.. I need to take it on a 1,500 mile trip next week and not so sure I should take it.. don't want it to die on me, but dont have the funds to take it to a dealer either

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

Shame on you, don't ever let any vehicle run out of gas, especially a Disco with a fuel filter, you can suck all sorts of s--t into your injectors.
I also have a 99D2 and I bet you are having some maintance isues come up along with the fuel thing.
Has your truck had it's 60K service, which is a hugh one? If not we should talk and I'll walk you through it if you don't have a owners manual.
The reason your check engine light comes on and then goes of is because the problems that you are starting to have are not major faults and so the ECU will recheck the engine and if on the next drive cycle, it doesn't see anything going on it will shut the light off. If though it sets a hard code the light will stay on and you will need to have a shop read the code with a scanner and make the necessary repairs before you can have the light turned off.
As of today, you are going to quit filling it with regular, you are killing that engine with carbon build up, thats why there is a high octane warning sticker inside your gas door.
What area do you live i, I think we should talk this weekend so I can help get you back on the right course.
If you want, send me a side message with your tele. # and I'll call.
Mike J.

T

tree25

Thanks for the info Mike..

My disco II has never run out of gas though.. It just bucks back and forth 1 time a day even though it has a full tank.. The first time it did this was last week and it had plenty of gas when it did it that time as well..

I'm in Atlanta, GA.. Yep, it had the full 60k service, new brakes and new tires right before I bought it.. I Got it from my Sister who was the original owner and her family took impeccable care of it, They took it to the dealer for every recommended service.

All I've had to do in 17k miles is to get the oil changed

I'm in love with the Land Rover now and terribly attached, but I don't think I can afford the upkeep of the vehicle, its a tough decision whether to sell it now or to continue and enjoy it and pay out the ***** for later problems...

lol.. thanks for the pointers though.. I will def start getting high octane for now on. Should I add some kind of fuel injection cleaner also next time I fill up? Thanks, tree.. these forum boards are awesome, glad I found this place

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

My error, I thought I read that you had run out of gas. Do you have the work order from the 60K, does it show that your plug wires were replaced, if they were not they could very easily be the problem, they start to fail and they short out on the engine and can cause what you are describing.
Good luck,
mike

D

disco99

New here, but I had the same prob, and it was my MAF sensor. Cost 40$ and it was fixed.

T

tree25

disco99 said:
New here, but I had the same prob, and it was my MAF sensor. Cost 40$ and it was fixed.

Sweet.. I'll give that a shot.. I haven't been driving the Disco II for a full week because the Engine is running a little rough now and also the Service Engine light is staying on now and I don't have the money to take it to a Dealer.. I will research and try to change the MAF sensor on my own though..

T

tree25

disco99 said:

How'd you fix it for $40? looks like they are $600

Air Flow Meter / Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF Sensor):
This $700 component is the most vital part of the Discovery fuel injection system as it measures the volume of air flowing into the engine to determine how much fuel to inject. One symptom of its malfunction is an overly rich mixture causing low gas mileage. Genuine part number is ERR5198. I found it at Atlantic British for $659.95. The lowest price I have seen for an aftermarket replacement was at Speedycarparts.com who have them in stock for $582 (with free shipping).

D

discomike

Before you start throwing parts at your truck, get someone to read your codes and find out what is going on. I know you truck doesn't like regular gas, but it is safe to say that is not what has set a code. Many auto parts stores offer a free servive of reading your codes for you, find one and see what they say, make sure you get the code number as well as what they say is the fault and get back to us.
Once this is fixed we need to get you and your truck alittle happier, good gas, maybe some plug wires and in another 10 or 15,000 miles some O2 sensors, this will help get some long lost power and economy back.
Mike J.

D

discomike

I was wondering about that $40 price tag myself.
Mike J.

T

tree25

discomike said:
Before you start throwing parts at your truck, get someone to read your codes and find out what is going on. I know you truck doesn't like regular gas, but it is safe to say that is not what has set a code. Many auto parts stores offer a free servive of reading your codes for you, find one and see what they say, make sure you get the code number as well as what they say is the fault and get back to us.
Once this is fixed we need to get you and your truck alittle happier, good gas, maybe some plug wires and in another 10 or 15,000 miles some O2 sensors, this will help get some long lost power and economy back.
Mike J.

Sounds good.. I will report back with the codes tomorrow.. Appreciate the assistance

on another forum board it looks like people had luck cleaning their MAF sensors themselves without having to replace them.. They used K&N Filter Cleaner to clean it and air dry.. If I could figure out where it is located I would like to try that.. attached is a pic of my engine if someone could locate where the MAF Sensor is for me..

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 125.jpg
    Picture 125.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads