A hero among us....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is old news, maybe not. So if it is sorry for the double post.

I was at my dealer for a molding replacement sitting in the waiting room staring at the starbucks coffee machine and golfers monthly magazine. Basically bored out of my mind. So I picked up the latest issue of Land Rover Lifestyle magazine and started paging through it and saw a picture of Nathan Woods in his "irregular" coil spring LR3.

My hat goes off to you Mr. Woods. Your vehicle looks great in there and the backdrop looks amazing compared to mine here in the Northeast. Needless to say I kept the issue. Even though there is usually a lot of nonsense in these types of magazines Im happy to see a nice LR3 in the spread.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing about NWOODS is that Nathan is really a nice guy. He envies the air suspension of the LR3's, but watching him in action is fun because he isn't afraid to push the envelope.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardly a hero! I'm only famous for being well known :)

That is a funny photo. I'm wincing as my rear bumper drags on the steep approach angle. I heard that noise a lot, and never got used to it. LOL!

Credit for the photo goes to John "RoverDude" Gadd. Photo taken somewhere on Fins-n-Things in Moab, Utah.

102163525-M-1.jpg

Reaction score
C'mon Nathan

That was only a plastic sound. And if the plastic parts were important I am sure that LR would not have made them out of plastic LOL!!!

H

hooknows

Nathan, in the picture above are you in off road suspension height? It looks as though your tires are very close to your wheel wells in the pic. If you are in the highest setting then what size tires do you have, I thought I read somewhere that you have 285/60/18's. Just curious.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HooKnows, I am a low rider. My truck has coil springs, not the air suspension. I actually have a 1.5" lift installed in the picture above. Lack of ground clearance and lack of articulation is a serious achillies heel of my particular truck. And yes, my tires are considerably larger than the factory tires at 285/60/18. They used to fill the wheel wells completely, now at least there is a smidgeon of daylight above the tire and the fender flare.

H

hooknows

Nathan, that's great to know. That you are a low rider that is...I am a new owner and just been reading alot of posts and I think I read one on your homepage that said you were not set up correctly for a certain trail I believe. Now I know why!
Do you have the Nitto tires?
I was really looking at getting the Revo's once my OEM's are worn but I read that a guy put on the 265/70/18 and they rubbed. However, the 275/65/18 would not be quite as tall so I don't know if they would rub or not. I don't know of anyone who has tried that size...Do you? I know your one of the experts around here. Thanks

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I use the Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrains, and I am very happy with them. Tread wear over past 18,000 miles has been negligible, and they work fantastic in rain, rocks, dirt and sand. I have not had much opportunity to play in the mud with them, but what few large puddles I've found, they did well there too. They are quiet on the freeway, and grip tenaciously. I anticipate getting at least 40,000 miles out of them.

It is important to note that they are suffering a little bit from "chunking" due to lots and lots of use on rough rocks.

Looking at an online tire size calculator, the 275/65/18 Revo's are taller than the 285/60/18 Nittos.

Tire callout size: 275/65/18 -- 285/60/18
Tire diameter (inches) = 32.074 -- 31.464
Tire width (inches) = 10.826 -- 11.220
Tire sidewall (inches) = 7.037 -- 6.732

My tires rub when the suspension is FULLY compressed, like in a hard corner at speed in the sand. They rub in the rear just forward of the tire, at 9:00 o'clock on an analog clock face. I would imagine that the taller 275's would rub much more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hooknows

Thanks Nathan, I am not concerned about chunking because I am not lucky enough to live near any rocks :)
But, with your vehicle being lowered that would make your tires rub more than a normal land rover, correct?
So, let me ask you this. I know you said you have a 1.5 inch lift if I recall and no air suspension. This might be hard to tell unless you ran the stock tire size without air suspension... Assuming you had stock tire size and your current suspension, what is the difference in inches between the tire and wheelwell vs the way a stock land rover sits.
Does that make sense?
I just don't know if I should try to compare tires rubbing on my vehicle vs yours being that the suspension is different. Thanks

H

hooknows

Interesting that your rear wheels are the ones that rub... I thought normally front tires rub if anything because of the obvious turning...strange

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo