Adding another SUV without buying 2nd LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife loves to drive my LR3 for the ride, sitting up higher than most others and it's safety and fear of the crazy Florida drivers... as we're looking to have a kid in the near future.

As crazy as this seems...she wants a H3. It will not be used off-road, we have looked at everything from Muranos, Cayennes, Touaregs, FJ, Jeep, LR2, Audi, ML350 and X5. I fully understand the gas guzzlers I would have sitting next to each other in my garage...but very concerned for safety.

Has anyone ever owned, know anyone who does and can chime in about a H3? Thanks

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not try a hummer forum?

Ok Mr Sarcastic...because Hummer owners have no clue how nice a LR3 is to drive. Hell...a large portion have no idea what an LR3 is even capable of doing. I'm trying to find something similar in a few ways to the LR3.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not owned an H3, but did drive a rental for two weeks on Kauai last year.

It is a funky SUV that has character, decent room for its size, is solidly built, and did well on the beach, negotiating muddy rutted tracks, and driving below 50mph. Very manueverable and comfortable.

The bad: 5-cylinder engine is fine for offroad and below 50mph, but is anemic on the highway. Good for a small island, but not the open highway. At speeds over 60, I constantly had to correct its line.

On bumpy dirt-roads, the rear-end was constantly coming around. The worst I have ever experienced. I had to drive seriously slow to keep the rear in-line with the front, as while the kids thought it was good fun, the wife put the kabash on the tail out antics. I drove the same roads in a Suburban and Exploder with no such issues. Of course, I did not take these two on the sand and over the muddy track, where the H3 redeemed itself.

As I'm sure you know, the H3 is not being built anymore, so I would worry about resale. Parts should be OK, because they are mostly shared GM.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM is looking for a buyer of hummer right now, wind-down operation have begun if a suitor does not emerge.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H3 is TERRIBLE. No room inside and way under powered for what it is. If you are intent on this rig - go drive one. Bleh.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately this or whatever is bought...will be her ride and daily driver. Maybe its the personality or armored truck appearance of the H3 that can withstand a good chuck of accidents which is why she likes it. I will have about 30% say in this decision and I have driven one and yes its underpowered unless we go with the 5.3L Alpha H3. But to her quickness means nothing. Of course I wouldn't consider the LR3 quick by any means.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your wife plan on crashing into a lot of ****?

Have her go drive one. Let the rig sell itself. It is quite capable off-road but I gather that on the road it would suck, like the H2. Can't even see out of the damn thing!

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your wife plan on crashing into a lot of ****?

Have her go drive one. Let the rig sell itself. It is quite capable off-road but I gather that on the road it would suck, like the H2. Can't even see out of the damn thing!

Lol...funny you ask. She has been rear ended 3x times now, once when she was the 3rd car in line and the other cars piled into hers. So you can see her concern of putting a baby in the back of the car. I thought the thing had huge blinspots for me and the window sills are too high.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635