LR3 owner advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
I ll check battery and alt, good tips thanks.
After the local dealer threw some parts at my rover, they did the tsb to reprogam the settings, told me to run some good fuel system cleaner through a couple tanks. Suggested bg44k and or seafoam.
Light has been off for a few days now, anout 8 on off cycles..

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1 - start flagging down other Rover owners.
Step 2, see if I can build a better rapport with the Local Dealer.

I did get a couple trade offers just to see what I would be dealing with - so far they're all at the loooooowwwww end of the KBB "trade value" side of things, meanwhile local lots have LR3 and LR4 with mileage higher and options fewer for nearly 10K more than i'm being offered in trade.
I like the LR3 way too much. I'll start saving for those diffs

Do you mind telling us where you're located? Put it in your signature/sidebar. Someone may see it and know a shop. A great shop can be worth a bit of driving.

My LR3 supposedly had a diff noise for 50,000 miles LOL and did finally need a new rest and front. However it was nearing 100,000 and I'd just towed about 8000lb twin axle 3200 miles.

I can find out what mine cost at the dealer even though it was warranty work. Just for reference or you should definitely call a couple in other regions, ideally serious rover areas. Find more info on Discoweb and Expedition Portal

Docddd

Reaction score
People always ask me "Isn't this expensive to be off-roading in?" My answer is that it's not the purchase price but the $3,000 a year in maintenance that's expensive. Personally, the 2006 LR-3 is a piece of crap. But, it's my piece of crap. Wheel air lifts go out every 2 years, the radio/CD costs $300 to replace from a wrecking yard, the right and left tail light assy are $300 each, Had to replace the transmission 2X in 120K miles, Replaced the engine at 95K. The differentials will last a long time even though they make noise. Just be ready to replace them when they REALLY need it.

I found a burnt out wrecked LR-3 that I bought for $1,000 and have been parting it out for 2 years now. Like anything different, it's not going to be cheap to run.

Rover-19APR17.JPG

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like YOUR '06 LR3 is a piece of crap....

...most engines have been solid. EAS doesn't typically fail that often, nor do trannies. Not sure what is causing your experience to be such.

Docddd

Reaction score
I know, but when it happens to you, it's a real problem. I have 140K miles on the rig. 2 months ago, my trans was leaking oil from the top electrical connection. That was $1,000 and it was from the company that installed it 2 years ago.

Oh, and I forgot this one: Was having trouble with the passenger window going up and down. Ended up that the frame channel under the passenger door had filled up with water and rotted out the connector. I had to solder and shrink tape the wires to keep them safe. It turns out that water gets in from the sun roof, goes down the windshield pillar into the channel.

The tailgate lock stopped working and I had to cut out a hole to replace the plastic joint. The dealer wanted $350. to replace the whole selenoid assy. It was only a $.50 part. Looked it up on youtube how to do it.

Now I have the Passenger back door that won't open from the inside. I have to pull the panel, might be another defective plastic joint?

Everyday is an adventure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you the original owner? If not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many previous owners and from what part of the country?

Docddd

Reaction score
I'm the second owner and it had 85K on it when I purchased it in 2011. I'm here in Southern California mountains. My work calls me to be in riverbeds, mountain trails and mountain sides during fires and body recoveries. It is the "transition" model 2005-2006. Sold in 2005. Oh and one more fun thing, those piece of crap decorative lug nuts. I go through a set of tires every 6-8 months because I'm running all terrain tires rather than mud tires. The chrome on the lug nuts started rounding out when emergency crews didn't have the "metric" socket. I replaced them with solid ones. We just keep solving problems as they come along.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Your job sounds more fun than mine.
2. My lug nuts are fine. I change tires 2x a year (winters to MT/Rs) and one or two of them have rounded (my fault) but other than that the other 18 are fine and still original. Using the wrong tool for the job puts the result on you, not the LR3.
3. Not sure why you go through tires that frequently. Even with your use case that sounds absurd.

You aren't alone in having some mysterious issues though. It seems like finding a good pre-owned one of these is a science. It's not like buying a used Corolla. What caused your engine, tranny and EAS failures? What were the root causes and symptoms?

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
whew. I feel better about mine.. Sorry to hear yours has been crappy - but when you say "but it's MY piece of crap" i get that. I test drove a lot of other vehicles.. I just can't part with the LR3.

Docddd

Reaction score
Hi Houm, I'll go by the numbers. I just got back in from a run and I have 181,400 miles on it. And yes I agree, when they try to use a SAE lug wrench with their impact gun it tears them up. And you don't find out until the next time you have to change a tire in the field.

Almost all my flats are cause by rocks cracking and the shards cutting up through the sidewall. Right in the middle of the Sand Canyon fire, I got caught in a rock slide and 15' later, I had two gashed tires. (R-Side) Couldn't get 2 of the lug nuts off so I drove 2 miles on the rims. I found a house that hadn't burned and the owners had chisel to cut the chrome metal off.

Got the wheels changed and back to work. (Their house was protected by a phoschek drop)
FLAT TIRE (1).JPG
Flare-up.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV