advice/input on minor problems with an '06 please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

trafficboy

Hello.

Sorry for the long post. *Warning, I also posted this on RangeRovers.net to spare you the novel if you're a member there too!

Being a new forum member I'm not sure if it's better to post individual topics or just throw all your issues out on the carpet, but here goes. I purchased an '06 Bonatti Grey/Charcoal with 20's and Luxury Interior package. I've got about 800 miles on it so far. First off....... I LOVE this vehicle :!: That being said, for the premium price tag that these vehicles command, I'm a little hyper sensitive to flaws. I thought I'd post some of my observations and hopefully get feedback on what others would consider worthy of a 100 mile trip to the nearest dealer to request warranty work.

1. My biggest concern is the satin black trim on the door pillars. I purchased my vehicle on a dark cloudy day. A week later when the sun finally appeared, I was appalled to find the finish on this trim extremely blotchy and scratched or smeared in spots. It appears that perhaps the plastic protective coating was left on too long and when it was removed it damaged the finish. It's very noticeable in the sun and looks bad. Should the warranty cover finish trim? I could have it repainted, but it makes me sick to send my new vehicle to the bodyshop.

2. 2nd in line is a small vibration that I briefly feel transmitted through the gas peddle at various RPM's, more so at light throttle and around 2,100 RPM but can be other ranges. It doesn't appear to be related to exhaust harmonics. I like hearing exhaust growl on harder acceleration, but this vibration is annoying because it's out of synch with the exhaust and I can feel it as opposed to hearing it.

Now for some minor quirks:

3. When I restart the vehicle, the Sirius radio is playing the last station selected but the display reverts to channel 184, the weather channel, so I can't actually see what channel or song title is playing. I have to manually select a different channel to get the display working again.

4. For some reason I can't clear the last POI entry from the Nav screen. I've cleared ALL stored inputs from every menu, and they have all disappeared except for one big red dot remaining at my work address.

5. Rain sensing wipers annoy me. Can they be disabled? I LIKE intermittent wipers, but there's no such thing now. If I turn the intermittent wipers on, the rain sensor automatically takes over and it seems I've got them going constantly every time I even think of a drop of water. I've already got the switch set to the least sensitive mode. Oh yeah, and my wiper switch seems weird. If I shut the vehicle off with the switch in the intermittent/rain sensing position, the wipers don't work when I restart the vehicle. I have to turn the wiper switch off, then on again and they will resume operation.

6. Bluetooth has already been beat up on other posts. I will just add that my bluetooth connection to a Blackberry 7100t does NOT work if allowed to autosynch, but WILL work if I enable bluetooth after starting the vehicle and manually synching the phone. My address book doesn't work under any circumstances. I've slowly started entering names in the voice recognition database and it seems to work great. (Unlike voice recognition with the Nav screen. Half the time it does what I say, and half the time it selects some off the wall command that's not even close.)

7. Last, I was sort of disappointed after purchasing an awesome $250 wiring harness for trailer wiring to find that NO effort was made to run wires for trailer brakes. Here's what I'm considering though and feel free to add opinions. Mounting an electronic brake controller inside the right rear panel where the harness terminates. Here you can tap into battery power, a rear brake light wire, and the unused blue trailer brake wire on the factory harness. Granted, the brake controller wouldn't be anywhere within physical reach to activate the trailer brakes alone, but I've found that if you set the gain properly this isn't necessary 99% of the time. I don't tow that frequently and usually not extremely heavy loads. This would prevent having to run new wiring the length of the vehicle and provide a stealth mounting point for the brake controller so it isn't visible in the cabin. Thoughts?

Sorry again for the long post. I wouldn't trade the Rover for any other vehicle. Just trying to work out the bugs.

Thanks for any input, Clark

S

SChargedRRS

Clark,
Thanks for the posts. This is our first Range Rover. I was quite reluctant to purchase at first since I did not follow Rover products but had heard some marginal stuff about them. So far we love the Sport. I especially like the road view when driving. I have better overall vision from the vehicle then I did in our Denali. We are still learning all the features.

I posted to your thread to agree with you that for the price we are spending on these vehicles they should be very well made and have a high level of detail. I can only comment to this. No matter where I have bought a car sadly the service department has the same level of competency as any other dealership. I am not impressed with the service department that we bought our Rover from. Sales was Great, the rest is sub par to this point. Point in hand

We noticed after getting our Rover home it had some surfaces scratchs all across the windshield on the passenger side. Looks like something was on the wiper blade and then turned on. This is quite obvious and annoying as you think there is something on the windhsield. They were not noticed at pick up due to the lighting but showed up when the light from the sun came through the windshield after we drove it on the third day. I immediately called the dealership and they said to come in. I took it down that day with 81 miles on it. The first words out of the service advisors mouth was "Hmmmm. I will have to call the region manager for this, we did not do that".....That is the C**P you would expect at the Hyundai dealership for the $8500 dollar car. So we took it in 1 week ago and yet to hear back from the dealership. I called them once and got a call back stating they have not heard back from the region manager....Yeah Blah Blah Blah.....

My point in all this, the quality at the factory may be better, but we are paying for technology, styling and uniqueness. After that original delivery the rest is junk service, lots of promises and headaches dealing with low level skilled kids right out of school in fancy suits.....

Love the Rover, not surprised on the poor service and detail....SOS....

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SChargedRRS

Well A bit of an update. Got back in touch with dealer late yesterday, started to get a bit of a run around. I said "I want the windshield replaced" "I do not want some buff process done to it, no polishing....JUST replaced !!!" He connected me to the manager and I told him what had transpired, and he approved me a new windhsield and put it on order...then apologized that his service advisor did not make this right the day we came in.....Good Grief.... took me threatening them to get someone to make a decision.

Sorry to banter here. We sure love the RR. It is not a vehicle problem, this is a service issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9