Air Suspension fault in the cold...2000 RR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

Friar93

The weather in the Northeast has been very cold, single digits F at night, below freezing during the day.

A couple times now in the morning or after the car -2000 RR- sits all day at work the Air Suspension Fault light comes/stays on. When it warms it will go off if I stop and turn the car off and back on again.

This is not happening all the time....~one out of every 4 times it sits for a long time in the extreme cold.

Is something freezing up in the cold(compressor?). do the air lines get condensation in them or anything that could be freezing up? something to worry about?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet on condensation.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my own experience with my 97 Range Rover, I believe what's happening is that your air springs are leaking. With the original equipment air springs, generation I as they're called, they tend to leak when they get old and especially so in the cold weather. When the car sits for a period of time, especially when it's cold, air leaks out of the springs from between the rubber bellow and the steel seat. The EAS attempts to keep the car level and lets air out of the other springs. This happens even when your car is parked. The end result is that your air system eventually looses all its air and you end up on the bump stops. When you start the car, the EAS senses you're on the bump stops and no air pressure in the system and either gives you an error message or flashes all of the height setting selection lights at the same time. Usually, once you start the car and get the air compressor to pump the springs/system back up, if you turn off the car, wait five minutes and restart it, the flashing lights will be gone and all will be well.

Now, as to why you have the problem 1 out of 4 times, my guess is that the leaky air spring(s) sometimes have seated themselves better than at other times from driving. I experienced the same symptons and new air springs solved the problem.

I doubt you're problem is condensation. The EAS has an anti-dessicant component which takes care of keeping the system dry and it normally doesn't require maintenance for life.

If you decide to replace your springs, I would suggest you get the generation II or III air springs from Arnott's (they're on ebay). These have an improved design and are guaranteed not to leak for life.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM