Another towing and hitch question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fomo73

Reaction score
I just purchased a 26 ft weekend warrior carbon lite with a dry weight of 5770 lb and a tongue weight of 815 lb, I also had a 10,000 lb cap. equalizer put on the trailer. I have a 05 LR3 V8SE and was wondering if anyone has ever pulled a trailer this big and heavy with their LR3 and if the hitch on the vehicle would even handle it?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been very close to the max. tongue weight (550 lbs.), but never that high. It's likely unsafe, and may even be illegal in your state. Good luck. I'm sure another renegade here will reply... :smile:

Last edited:

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted earlier about exceeding the 550 pound tongue weight. I'm not sure its a huge concern. My main thinking is that with a towing capacity of 7700 pounds, 550 is too light on the hitch. The trailer needs 10-15% weight on the hitch in order to tow well.

Anyway, I just towed my camper home. About 5000 pounds with a tongue weight of 650. Towed like a champ!

However, I would check into the equalizer (weight distributing - I'm assuming) hitch. I talked to the dealer before I bought my camper -- got bounced between service, parts and sales until I found a guy who was semi-knowledgeable and willing to call the engineering guys.

Anyway, LR specifically does not recommend the weight distribution set up. The load-leveling air suspension takes care of it for you, and in fact, the weight dist/equalizer hitch is fighting with the load leveler...

That's my two cents.

dtmelm

Reaction score
Tongue weight

Just an FYI that a search (probably google) is in order. When I was looking into this about a year ago (I have an '06 LR3 SE), I found a story of a woman who was towing a trailer with about 700 lbs tongue weight...As she was pulling through town (fortunately not at speed) and went over a minor bump, the tow assembly snapped out of the slide in mount. Dealer indicated that was the likely behaviour if you exceed the 550 reco...

D.

m5ccie

Reaction score
The LR hitch I purchased is stamped with a maximum tongue weight of 770 lbs, which is 10% of the towing capacity. However, I have seen ones that are stamped at 550 lbs which matches the maximum tongue weight that is recommended in the manual. I wonder if the 550 lbs vs. 770 lbs tongue weight is a limitation of the hitch or vehicle capabilities :confused:

What does you trailer hitch is rated at?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 4k lb trailer with a dry tongue weight of about 400. With my setup, I have another 100lbs on the tongue max. If you have a "dry" tongue weight of 815, once you get propane, a battry or two, and then the normal trailer load. . .god forbid any actual fresh water, etc. . .you are grossly over the limit for the LR3. Just my two cents, but that would also be demonstratable negligence on your part. If you got in an accident and hurt anyone. . .say good by to your life. I would prosecute and sue you to nth degree.

Not that I would do it, but 600lbs may be plausible. . . You are likely well over 900lbs actual trailering tongue weight. Way out of the LR3 capacity. I wouldn't even try this once.

Not to mention, the wheelbase of the LR3 is only 113". . . A 26' trailer with the weights you mention. . .I would not be surprised if it had its way with you poor LR3. Don't get me wrong, I was shocked at how good my LR3 tows my rig. . .but it is well within the reccomended guidelines, and is only 21' long. Never had a white knuckle moment yet with my camper. . .

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should be ok run in sport mode it pulls alot better

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 3500 lb. enclosed car hauler that weighs nearly 6,000 lb. when loaded. No issues. LR3 is a great tow vehicle!

ChuckD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72