Apple iPhone + LR3 with PTI = Happiness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know that I bought my beautiful late build '07 Java Black/Alpaca HSE with Luxury package and Sirius last weekend and I absolutely LOVE it. I have owned many cars, including Range Rovers, Porsches and BMW's, and this is the best car I have ever owned. I'm serious. It is absolutely phenomenal.

I'll write a separate review, but I also wanted to say that the iPhone works perfectly with the HSE's bluetooth PTI. All you do is pair it just one time, by going to the Settings -> Bluetooth menu in the iPhone, LAND ROVER will show up on the iPhone screen, enter the Password of 2121 (I believe) and you're set. You don't ever have to do that again. Every time you re-enter your LR3 with the iPhone, the center cluster display will say "phone connected" or something like that. Any incoming calls to the iPhone get automatically routed to the handsfree bluetooth, and the incoming caller id info (area code and number) appears on the radio display while your stereo and/or nav fades out. Once you hang up the call, the stereo comes back on where you left off. No one has ever commented on the call quality one way or the other, which leads me to believe that it sounds pretty good on their end, normal at least. The incoming sound quality is outstanding, and I have had front passengers be able to speak to the caller and the caller hear them - almost like a conference call.

On outgoing calls from the iPhone, the iPhone pops up a screen that allows you to route the call to the Land Rover, the iPhone or Speakerphone (the iPhone's speaker). Cool.

I have also set up 4 or 5 voice tags and they work flawlessly as well.

Anyway, all for now. Loving the LR3 and the iPhone, and they seem to get along with each other as well.

Patriot

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Patriot, almost the same with basically any Bluetooth phone.

The one thing I didn't like, when I had the iPhone.... I wasn't able to get the iPhone to switch to the car PTI if I already had a handset based call in progress. (Scenario: I'm at work on the iPhone, and need to leave... and want to continue the conversation in the car without interruption.) Maybe I missed something. On any of my Motorola phones, it bonded and transitioned to the car automatically after unlocking. (Just had to make sure to start car or turn stereo on in time.) Anyway, non-issue... since the iPhone is gone.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked...but I just wanted to double check. Is there an upgrade available for '05 LR3s to have this connectivity?

Seems like all the hardware is there and the buttons and such, but no bluetooth support built in.

Thanks.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add it... there is/was an official kit. But no caller ID phone number will appear on the instrument cluster or stereo head unit, and you don't get the totally useless center dock and external antenna...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add it... there is/was an official kit. But no caller ID phone number will appear on the instrument cluster or stereo head unit, and you don't get the totally useless center dock and external antenna...

Thanks. BUT...do you get the ability to answer the phone with in-car buttons, auto stereo muting, and access to the internal LR speaker/microphone options?

I think the last time this was discussed it was noted as overpriced for what you get, but I have to say the most unsafe frenzy in the car is when I'm screaming down the highway, stereo blazing, and a call comes in. Even with a bluetooth headset there is time to get the headset, check that it is linked with the phone, answer the phone, mute the stereo...etc. Safety may be worth the price if that all happens automatically.

(thanks for the iphone post. good info!)

MarkJD

Reaction score
Grommet,

My iPhone works pretty flawlessly with my 2007 HSE, but I have the same problem that you mentioned regarding the system (not sure if it's the phone or the truck) dropping the call when moving in to the vehicle.

Mark D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4