Automatic wiper setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow Lame

Reaction score
2.5 weeks into LR4 ownership and enjoying it thus far. We had some rain this weekend while I was travelling and I used the automatic wipe setting for the first time - which was great. However it seemed to wipe randomly every few minutes after the rain stopped. It may be that a stray rain drop hit it - conditions were stormy and unsettled but it seemed to me that the screen was dry. Has anyone else observed this? I suspect that maybe the rain sensor is somewhere else on the vehicle and may get hit with a little road spray but I don't know.

After a few of these random wipes I turned it off, still think its a good option for days of variable rain but I don't think I'll leave it on all the time (I know about the car wash problem)....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 weeks into LR4 ownership and enjoying it thus far. We had some rain this weekend while I was travelling and I used the automatic wipe setting for the first time - which was great. However it seemed to wipe randomly every few minutes after the rain stopped. It may be that a stray rain drop hit it - conditions were stormy and unsettled but it seemed to me that the screen was dry. Has anyone else observed this? I suspect that maybe the rain sensor is somewhere else on the vehicle and may get hit with a little road spray but I don't know.

After a few of these random wipes I turned it off, still think its a good option for days of variable rain but I don't think I'll leave it on all the time (I know about the car wash problem)....
Hey Slow Lame,

Have you tried turning down the sensitivity? I noticed mine did that sometimes when I had the sensitivity setting up all the way. Once I turned it down, it stopped happening. I found you need to adjust that sometimes.

Keep us posted, hopefully others will have some advice as well.

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah,
as david said, you can turn down the sensitivity. Some times cars ahead of you can kick up sand particles and that would triger it. The sensor s located behind the rear view miror and it works by sensing sound vibration when the rain drops impact the windsheild. If you knock on the windsheild you can triger it. If you knck on the sensor housing you can also triger it.

Slow Lame

Reaction score
Great information, thanks - I did not realize there is a sensitivity setting. I know, RTFM!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great information, thanks - I did not realize there is a sensitivity setting. I know, RTFM!
Hey Slow Lame,

Yep, it's the little dial on the wiper knob. I bet it's turned all the way up in your LR4. We don't get rain in CA in the summer, but in the winter, I usually keep it on about medium so it doesn't go too crazy. I find on the highest sensitivity it wipes a bit much at times. Works great in heavy storms, though .

Best of luck and glad we could help.

-David

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Slow Lame,

Have you tried turning down the sensitivity? I noticed mine did that sometimes when I had the sensitivity setting up all the way. Once I turned it down, it stopped happening. I found you need to adjust that sometimes.

Keep us posted, hopefully others will have some advice as well.

-David

Well...again, I learned something new from David! Thanks!! I had no idea there was a sensitivity setting..I just thought that dial was for the speed of the wipers. Great info!! :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...again, I learned something new from David! Thanks!! I had no idea there was a sensitivity setting..I just thought that dial was for the speed of the wipers. Great info!! :)
Hey UGAgirl97,

That's great, I'm glad I could help. You will see a big difference in the high vs. low sensitivity setting. I hope all is well with you! :)

-David

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey UGAgirl97,

That's great, I'm glad I could help. You will see a big difference in the high vs. low sensitivity setting. I hope all is well with you! :)

-David

By the way David, I love the turn signal thing you told me about where it blinks 3 times and stops automatically. That is a brilliant addition and even though it may seem minor, it's one of my favorite things about the LR4. Lol. If you hadn't told me, I would have never known about that.

Thanks again David :proud:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way David, I love the turn signal thing you told me about where it blinks 3 times and stops automatically. That is a brilliant addition and even though it may seem minor, it's one of my favorite things about the LR4. Lol. If you hadn't told me, I would have never known about that.

Thanks again David :proud:
You are very welcome! :)

I also LOVE that feature. I had it on my ML350 and thought I would need to get over it, but when my sales guy told me about it when I took delivery, I was like YES! :) Hehe!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635