Avoid the 2010 LR4!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcoVU

Reaction score
so, it's no big deal to change the oil yourself then? I have heard elsewhere the suction device is not too much $, maybe $100 or so? Where is the oil filter? Does this process allow you to change the oil without raising the vehicle or going under it?

That would be sort of nice actually.

The suction device was about $75 from amazon and hold all of the oil. The oil filter is on the top in one of those plastic canisters. If you take the plastic engine cover off (facing the windshield) it is left of center, close to the grill in grey plastic. I used a three pronged adjustable oil filter removal tool to ratchet it off. The suction tube is right under the oil filler cap. Pretty easy and no raising or anything needed.

btmalone

Reaction score
I picked up my new LR4 on March 19 and remain giddy with it. Truly giddy. I just love it. No issues (aside from some compatibility issues with the software rev of my iPhone and the LR4s Bluetooth). I haven't felt this way about a car since I bought my first SAAB. I would wholeheartedly endorse the LR4.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, it's no big deal to change the oil yourself then? I have heard elsewhere the suction device is not too much $, maybe $100 or so? Where is the oil filter? Does this process allow you to change the oil without raising the vehicle or going under it?

That would be sort of nice actually.

I posted this a while back. This is the cleanest, easiest oil change ever!

Hey , new guy here.

I can confirm that the oil is Castrol SLX 5w-20 that has been specially made for all the new 5 liter Land Rover and all 5 liter Jag motors, and is currently only available from the dealer. It's about $7 a quart.

I have now done an oil change on my 2010 full size Range Rover S/C and will soon be doing one on my LR4 and I can say it's the cleanest, nicest oil change on the planet. As Rover 7777 said, there is a tube that runs inside the oil fill tube for suction. the hardest thing is finding the correct size cap socket for the cartridge filter. I think it was 90mm and my dealer ended up getting me one from (I think) MAC Tools. The refill is 8 liters, but the oil comes in quarts, so you will need to put ~ 8.5 quarts in.

Oh, about the filter... The LR filter is $45 !!! but the identical Jag filter is $25. which is still very high. I am doing changes at 1000mi. then at 5000mi. and then every 5000 thereafter.

The suction pump I use is the Mityvac 7201. I holds 8.8 liters.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV