Backup Camera Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tackled a backup camera retrofit lately? Seems as though my LR4 has aftermarket wiring for a backup camera, I can enable the feature using my GAP tool, just want to see if anyone has any tricks or tips on the install and the type of camera to use.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this camera kit: FEELDO Car Reverse Rear View Camera for Land Rover/Freelander 2/Discovery 3 4/Range Rover Sport https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XLJF9X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N5A6E88RXGW8N5MZTPK3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Major PITA to install as there are no instructions, it needs modifying or additional wiring and the wiring that was there form another backup camera kit needed some additional modifying. The camera itself seems decent and has a stock look to it.

The existing wiring that was there was aftermarket and was cut off in the drivers side pillar, it was likely used for a rear-view mirror backup camera with likely a license plate camera. I re-routed the wiring to the back of the head unit and spliced it into a pigtail connector I had lying around, also ran some more to extend the existing rear wiring to the upper tailgate as the harness that was there wasnt long enough.

Enabled it in the GAP tool and boom! I have a working backup camera.

Only slightly annoying part is that the camera is only turned on by the reverse lights, so when you through the car into drive, the backup screen stays on a bit longer with the camera being off - but I guess I shouldn't be too picky considering it cost under $20.

I'll post some pics shortly.

serge1060

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a new one on my LR4 too and thank you for this information. Have a great day everyone!

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to install a new one on my LR4 too and thank you for this information. Have a great day everyone!
I have some additional feedback as I've used the camera now for a week. There are a couple of additional quirks that's I'm not crazy about

1-The image is a bit off center as it replaces the right upper tailgate handle light which is still left of center, great for esthetics but the image is a bit left facing, not dead center which is a bit of an issue for me and has cause me to park too close to the left side or too far from the curb on the right when solely depending on the camera.

2-The image also appears a bit zoomed in, so my backup sensors still indicate that I have more space than appears on the screen.

That said, I will likely replace it with a unit one that I can fit in the same spot as the stock camera which is more centered, should be a fairly straight forward replacement as everything is already pre-wired and enabled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM