Best rack for LR4 without factory rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy Brooks. Cool rig. Looks exactly like mine (minus the Front Runner roof rack).

I appreciate the versatility. Seems like even those that don't like the look or the sound are still overcome with the amazing features this rack offers.

I have been looking at the Voyager low profile. I like the straight topline and the fact that it has a rail, but it's low. Also, I don't have to purchase short LR4 roof rails to mount it. It's subtle enough that it doesn't look like a modification. It compliments the stock styling of my black LR4 rather than transforming it into an off-road 4x4/urban commuter SUV hybrid.

The downside is I have read people saying there can be noise issues. Also, it obstructs the sunroof, which may not be be a big deal, until it is. Many folks I have talked to have said you are going to want the extra space of a full-sized roof rack over the short 3/4 version. But then they turn around and say you don't want to overload your rack.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 3/4 version of the Baja, which means I'll have to spring for the short LR4 roof rails as well. (Both from British Atlantic.) All in, it's going to cost me about the same as the full-sized Voyager products. I may regret not going with the full-sized roof rack in some situations. But if I can't load it up anyway and I don't want to block the sunroof and I don't want to put additional holes in the forward molding to mount it and I don't want to risk a bunch of wind noise right over my head, I'm willing to sacrifice the extra capacity and/or versatility.

I also like the idea of creating a stepped look - from the low hood, to the medium driver's compartment, to the elevated rear roof. To me, that's more iconic than a topline that's smoothed out by a linear rack across the entire length of the roof.

I see myself throwing some tents and folding chairs and whatnot into the 3/4 basket, strapping them down or securing them with a cargo net, and calling it a day. It will only get used for overflow items when we go camping or to the beach or I take the dog out upland bird hunting. (Maybe I'll put a fresh cut X-mas tree up there over the holidays.) I don't see myself pitching a $5,000 tent on top of it when I can just pitch a much bigger (and cheaper) tent on the perfectly good ground. I don't see myself buying a bunch of high-end, single-use, specialized mounting brackets for gas and water cans and the like. All that's fun and super cool, but not for me.

My one concern with going the 3/4 route is it will look underwhelming and cheap, like some kid got the bright idea to toss a cute little off-road accessory on top of their parents' full-sized luxury SUV. (I might as well have taken a pallet board and secured it to the roof with a length of old marine rope tied off to one of the rails.) I don't think it will turn out that way, but that's my one big fear. Maybe the only way to do this (if you're going to do it at all) is to go big or go home, Hey, with the short roof rails, the worst that can happen is that I take the thing off and sell it deeply discounted on eBay.

elmo366036

Reaction score
Last year, I put a Voyager low profile, contractor edition rack on my 2016 that I had just purchased. I am very happy with it. It was easy to install (with my neighbor helping me) and did not require the installation of roof rails. The bars do cross over the sunroof but i don't notice it. I notice a little wind noise over when going over 50 but it doesn't bother me.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks elmo36636. I'm seriously considering the low profile myself. The best price I can find is on British Atlantic, but oddly it's more expensive than the full-height version. I was hoping the low profile might reduce wind resistance and drag. I hear you about the sunroof. Right now, it's a novelty, but I rarely use it and, when I do, I don't have it in the fully-open position.

Bottom line, it's a trade-off. I value your input. I could give up an unobstructed sunroof for more cargo space if the alternative was not having enough carrying capacity. Plus, people say you want your load weight in front of your rear axle. Having worked for a trailer fabricator in the past, I get where they are coming from. Good chance I will go that direction once the dust settles.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on a low profile Voyager from British Atlantic until they told me the shipping cost would be $800 (from NY to WA state). That's over half the cost of the rack.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the Voyager sales guy over the phone. He's in Bozeman, MT. They are in the process of opening up a new office there. We planned a meet up for this May and we'll get the whole thing done on site. Nice little road trip from where I'm at on the Washington State coast. I graduated from the Univ. of Montana and spent several years in the State, so I am familiar with the area. No short rail purchase. Check. No shipping costs. Check. No Montana State sales tax. Check. It checks a lot of boxes. Plus, with the money I saved, I can spring for the short rear ladder as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA