Best roof rails and roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I’ve been waiting patiently for ProSpeed to release their new low profile expedition rack for the LR4. The rack is now available and it looks slick. You can catch a few photos of it on their website. What you’ll notice is that the wind fairing is not yet available. I did learn the the Aero Front, as they call it, will be available in a few months. I’m thinking people are going to love Prospeed’s new roof rack.

I’ve been told that the noise levels generated by the newly redesigned rack are substantially lower than their previous low profile roof rack.
IMG_9602.jpeg
IMG_9601.jpeg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aero front (which I'd want) does not work with the long rails. I really liked the look of the old prospeed rack, the way it integrated with the roofline was very slick.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at pictures of the roof on the prospeed site seems to show the platform does not extend as far back as the previous version, too.

Honcho

Reaction score
After nearly a year of considering which rack to go with, I narrowed it between a Gobi rack and ProSpeed. Pulled the trigger on the ProSpeed rack due to it's ultra low profile (which I need to sneak into my garage). My complaint about the ProSpeed rack: The tubing isn't rigid enough. Secondly, the plastic sheet plates aren't as rigid and ofcoarse block out the light through the moon roof. I'll be modifying mine to have all metal mesh that is strong and will allow light to come in.
Any other complaints? What is the lbs rating for this rack?

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my new Baja rack but it is heavy, 100 lbs. of steel tubing fashioned into a visually appealing and functional cage. That's one advantage of the ProSpeed, weight, along with the low-profile design and lack of wind noise. I can see why people that want those features would be excited by that product.

It was a nice day and I was down at the marina hanging out and I got the urge to see if I could climb up and stand on top of the Baja, like I have seen others pictured doing. I'm not a small guy, but I figured if I took it easy it would probably be okay. If nothing else, it would be a good test to see if the product holds up to its claim of being able to hold up to 600 lbs. of static weight. I got up there fine and I was able to stand on top of it and sit on it and lay on it and then I climbed down.

I don't see myself ever doing that again.

The thing is that I spent a lot of time reaming out and prepping the insert connectors for installing the short rails and then the installation of the full-sized rack. I know what's underneath the whole thing and how it is mounted to the vehicle. There are 8 mounting points with threaded inserts in the roof that hold fairly modest-sized screws. Each screw is buried into the insert maybe a little more than 1/4" deep. That's it. That is all that is keeping 100 lbs. of steel from flying off of my roof. Plus, there is the integrity of the roof itself. It's mostly glass. Would it be any wonder if one of those glass moonroof panels shattered under the pressure and stress of too much weight? And what about where the rack is mounted, what is that resting on? Is it structural? An unsupported sheet of body panel? I don't know. What I do know is it was made to support a couple of roof rails and cross bars that are intended to put some luggage on or maybe the holiday Christmas tree. Bottom line, I'd feel a lot better if it was welded down to something that was structural.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV