BIG PROBLEM with my D1 1998

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hello. OK so I have a leak on both the head cover gaskets (the rover does hold oil though all 6 quarts).. The Rover has about 73K miles on it. My question is should I fix it? The quote was 450.00 for labor only. Plus parts ($$$$). I also have an anti-freeze leak as well ( can my day get any better?? Yes it gets worse). Found some lovely white milky stuff under the exhaust manifold. Do I need to fix it ? Now the really big kicker!!
Parked the Rover @ the bar last night, came back out about 4 hours later. He will not start.. Turns over but will not start. Finally after the third attempt it starts but stutters. Made it home and parked it.
Same scenario AGAIN this morning. So I changed the oil (plus Lucas), checked the battery ( it is fine), 13V from the alt (under load we drop to 12V) , battery cables are fine. Now could it be the starter?? And if so, how do I know for sure? After it runs for awhile it is fine on start up the problem seems to only happen while it sits over night ..? Could it be electrical ?? If something is draining the battery, crap where do I begin?? Tested the fuel pump, it appears to be well or @ least running. It usually starts on the third try ..the battery light will flicker as will the RED Engine oil pressure light on the thire try then it will distinguish and drive as usual. Any help would so great!! THANK YOU !!!

FYI: It has new spark plugs, I always run some Lucas Fuel Cleaner thru the system about every other month or so, I run 93 Octane.
Mel

D

dirtyjim

check your mass airflow sensor.my 94 would run like a **** until it warmed up.replaced the mass air and it ran fine.they are expensive so i would try to find someone to let you use the one off their truck to see it thats the problem before buying a new one.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, how old you battery is? It could be something as simple as dying battery than cant hold charge, or charge isnt simply up enough. What kind of electronics you run on regular basis (lamps/ac/headunit/big ass stereo sub... :))? If draw is bigger than about 80% of your alternator capacity (stock is like 100amp) then your battery will slowly run out of juice. Or it can be faulty alternator b/c battery light flickets on it as well - how stable your tachometer when you idle/runs?

Fuel pump - while running may have issues with pressure. That would attribute to weird running. Leaking seals in fuel lines there may attribute to starting problems (there has to be some pressure to crank up. Do you hear pump constantly running and not shutting down when such faulty starts happening?)

Head cover gaskets - people using different words for same stuff - are those valve cover gaskets? I.e thingies of rectangular shape - covers both sides of plenum? If so - before letting them touch it - try to use 12 pt 8mm thinny socket to check how tight bolts are. Mine been leaking and it turned out to be totally loose bolts on both sides. If you gonna with replacing - gasket for each side is like 8$ at most and its not that hard to do yourself in driveway.

I am just shooting ideas, too tired to think properly :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The battery is new Interstate M-40 I believe..Bought it in March 2004. I wish I had a big amp..Ha ha! No I do not have any onboard electronics (all stock). And yes you were right head cover (valve) gaskest ..They are leaking some what..About a drop a night. RPMS on the Tach.. OK when I start him up it jumps (1000) then falls back down to about 700-800 rpms. Then when I do run the A/C it waivers between 600-900 rpms. I have a short on one of my fog lamps ..Could this be doing it ?? I have been to lazy to ground the wire ..Also my "greenrover" friend says check the fuses? I have enclosed a picture of the fog light with the wire that is blown..

Attachments

• Cnv0085.jpg
    Cnv0085.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Cnv0086.jpg
    Cnv0086.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 120
D

discomike

Melissa,
This reminds me of some of the e-mails I have gotten from my daughters when they were away ar school, not good.
So to answer your question, yes it can get worse. No more driving it, because a few bad things are going to happen. You stand the chance of cracking a cylinder head or two, you are probably mixing the oil and coolant which will cause the milky stuff, and you could start washing your bearing surfaces and do serious wear.
You are having starting problems because you are getting either coolant and or oil draining into one or more cylinders and this ain't good.
Do you want me to go own???
If you want, call me on my cell and I will walk you through a few things to look for and then you can decide what to do.
By the way, quit looking at the battery, alternator, slider and all the other stuff mentioned, you have blown head gasket, sorry, I wish I could give you some better words of wisdom.
Mike J.
805-896-1550

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
GULP....A BLOWN HEAD GASKET ?? I thought that I would be blowing black smoke?
There goes the roof rack I wanted. :bawling:

D

discomike

Ok Melissa,
Lesson time,
Black smoke, gas or fuel
White smoke, coolant or headgaskets
Lighter grey smoke, oil
When your truck is running, do you smell a sweet smell from the exhaust, if so that is coolant.
There are 2 simple tests a mechanic can do to test for headgasket leakage and I think your at that place where you might want to consider having someone check it.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it helps to sleep once in a while -
I missed thing about milky looking stuff. Sorry Melissa, but Mike is on it - i.e its oil+coolant leaking somewhere :( Still dont see how it related to battery light, but that would explain oil one..

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Started just fine this morning ...It is not a blown head gasket. Bad Battery. Sergei that is why the battery light was coming on ....Something was draining the battery over night while the rover sat. It is the Alarm System according to the shop..I will keep you posted further with any other findings.
Melissa
Thanks for the help Mike ..It is nice to speak with a one time Oklahoman !

D

discomike

Melissa,
It's good to start of this Monday morning ebing wrong!!
Glad it was an electrical problem, and keep an eye on that milkey stuff just to make sure.
You have a good day,
Mike j.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM