Block heater for Td5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TD50below

Reaction score
Hi. I’m in the process of buying a 90 with a TD5 in it (my first LR in 30 years), and due to where I live I’m going to need some form of engine heat to ensure that it will start (it was -44c this morning, -55c with the windchill. Do you have any idea how many cups of tea it takes to keep warm in those temps?)

My first choice is a simple block heater, but the problem is that no-one makes one. Not LR, and I haven’t been able to find an aftermarket one either. I’ve just heard of a friend of a friend who has a 300tdi (for which there is also apparently no such thing as a block heater), but he found one from a Ford tractor that fits and, he says, melts the snow off his bonnet.

The core plugs in a TD5 are 28mm and 46.5mm, apparently. I can find a 28mm block heater on Amazon for $100 and it may fit, but I’d love to hear from someone who found one that did for sure fit – tried and tested.

I’m aware that there are alternative options (e.g. Webasto), but that will be $3000 fitted whereas a block heater is a fraction of the cost and I can fit it myself. If I can find one. Someone somewhere makes a block heater that will fit. It won’t have been designed for a TD5, and whoever makes it may not know what a TD5 was if it fell on them out of a tree, but it will still fit. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA