Boot height Q (sleeping inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've posted a pic before.

I kept my second row seats except for the middle section, removed the third row and replaced them with a "nesting" sleeping platform.

The platform behind the second row is permanently mounted to the factory tie down hooks with a sliding cover underneath that allows access to the storage area where the 3rd row used to be from either the tailgate or second row doors. The sleeping platform has a section that slides forward when the second row is folded flat and creates a platform from the back of the front seats to the tailgate. It includes a hinged section to cover the fridge between the second row seats. Everything is upholstered in marine grade carpet that matches the factory carpet. It is just fine for two average sized adults.

I did this for exactly the reason you state. I did a few technical trails with a spare tire mounted on top and did not care for the top heaviness one little bit. After that I got everything moved off the roof and onto the front/rear bumpers. I left the rack up there for any contingencies, but if I pack it correctly, the roof rack is just there for setting up a couple lawn chairs to watch the local high school football games.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I like having my water/tire on the rear, roof rack is just for my 23 Zero 270 awning, maxtrax, full sized shovel and my two room shower/bathroom tent. Keep it light up top.

I like this setup for my solo trips because it is so quick and easy and light. It's also good for road stealth camping. I can just crawl in the back and sleep without any fuss. Having an xlifter is key to my setup because of the self-level feature.

I built cabinets with lids. They bolt to the floor and each other so its a super solid platform. I was able to use 1/2" so its very light. I like that nothing can fall out of the doors and I can more accurately store things. I slightly raised and leveled my fridge so it is level with the platform. I can still access all my gear and fridge while inside the vehicle by just folding over my bed and lifting up the fridge lid or cubby lids.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @mmbertcher! How many inches less could you have for it to still make sense, you think?
Cut back 6 for some low drawers maybe. Are you traveling solo? If so you can have one side taller than the other for sure. Get screens for the windows too.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about the screens! You have any to recommend? Travelling with the missus, though, at least some of the time, so split heights aren't a good option:(.

KenBelt

Reaction score
Size XXL: a perfect fit rear seat windows and concur with mbw regarding X-Lifter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.37.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.37.02 AM.png
    540.9 KB · Views: 39

KenBelt

Reaction score
This is my solution (since I solo camp)...

Removed right passenger seat and mounted 12v fridge.

For sleeping, the containers are stacked on the right side and tri-fold mattress (4" foam) fits perfectly.

Camp chair (left side of picture) has canopy so I always have shade.

5-gal jerry can (water) sits between driver seat and folded rear passenger seat. 12v pump and 6 ft hose for quickie shower.

Recovery equipment stored in gap between folded 2nd row and 3rd row seats.

Blackout curtains when needed.

Window screens and popping the moon roof allow for ventilation (12v fan in summer).

Jet boil for coffee and meals (except for PB&J).

X-Lifter for leveling at camp site AND driving faster than 40 kmh in Off-Road (extended height) mode.

So far the LR4 is the best overlander I've owned (Wrangler Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner).

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 41

Hertplatte

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to drop some photos of my permanent camper build.
- 2 seater
- 30l fridge
- 90l water tank + pressure pump
- 55Ah Lithium 12V (charged via B2B charger from engine)
- 2kW air park heater + water heat exchanger (~500W heating power)
- Complete kitchen in the rear
- Sink will follow

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_190840.jpg
    IMG_20210531_190840.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02409.jpg
    DSC02409.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01753.jpg
    DSC01753.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49