bragging !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
It's been a long while since I posted anything, so here it goes. Contrary to most postings, I want to brag on my 2016 LR4 HSE Luxe with 63,000 miles. The only problems this vehicle has caused me, is a $30 brake light switch, and some front rotors. That's it. This Land Rover, and my previous 2005 LR3 and 2000 Discovery II, have been a better vehicle than the 9 Toyotas and 11 Mercedes Benzes I've also owned along with a number of other brands, makes and models as I usually keep at least 4 vehicles in my "stable" at all times. Now that I've said that, watch something go to Sh$$t!

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
Same here. Our 16 LR4 has 42k miles. Other than routine maintenance, it's only needed a set of rear brake pads. Knock on wood.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question — did the brake light switch cause any real issues beyond just not triggering the brake lights? (IE would you keep one as a spare while traveling the way LR3 folks often do)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not bad vehicles but you are at baby miles. They do require expensive attention north of 100k miles but are still generally reliable. FWIW my 2006 LR3 was horrible. The LR4 has been better. They will cost you batteries, coolant crossovers, water pumps, timing chains and tensioners and some odd air suspension fixes but other than that they are not too bad. Brakes seem to need more attention too.

DON GALLOWAY

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 that has been a dream for 180,000 miles. At about 140k I had to replace the high pressure file pumps, compressor for the suspension and front control arm bushings but that was to be expected. We used it to tow our 30' 7,500 lb camper all over the west-about 30k miles.

At present it has 190k miles and is sitting awaiting an engine overhaul - timing chains, gasket replacements and new fuel injectors. It has a consistent miss in cylinder 8 and the local indy LR shop advises against having them do the work due to the mileage. Once the weather has decided to stop the snow it will take a spot in the garage as a project. It is way to capable of an off road explorer to part with it.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 LR4 here with 130k miles. Maintenance is expensive indeed. It's my daily driver, so there is always a lingering concern if or when it will die on me. I've been looking into springing for a replacement new LR vehicle, but the ordering process and market overall is a **** show right now.

jerrygmyers

Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 just climbed 93k after a 1200 mile adventure in Eastern Washington, Idaho and NW Oregon. Now it's time for a major maintenance service like what ktm525 mentioned at my local indy shop. That will be somewhat north of $2k. I've owned exclusively euro cars and suv's and that is around the average yearly cost in service so for me I'm ok with it knowing what I am getting into. I've had my LR4 for almost a year and it has been the most reliable Land Rover I have owned.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Hey "hickersb", yes, the brake light switch malfunction causes a number of problems such as warnings about the cruise control not available, emergency brake not available, suspension adjustment not available (truck drops to lowest ride hight), drive modes not available, and perhaps others depending on when it goofs up. Usually stopping the vehicle and shutting it off, then restarting, caused the problems to go away until next time. Good idea to carry a spare switch (still a Ford Motor product in my case) as it's easy to replace when the dash lights up with fault codes.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP is really tempting fate with this post LOL
These trucks are like your kids. You love em unconditionally, no matter what they do…but yeah OP just throw a little money away in an account for “miscellaneous repairs”. I’ve been doing that and honestly a repair doesn’t hurt that bad anymore. 2k should suffice

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA