Brake Metrics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is incredible....almost non-believable but i follow your posts and i have no choice but to believe it. WOW! Myself 35k and 3 brake jobs (recently had one) already. May make it to 43k-45K. Avg every 15k.
My brakes were checked at 18K, were in "Green" zone, more them 6mm left... don't know exactly how much. But front pads were replaced per LTB00472NAS1 - i complained about the noise.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see what you think, as I never use it when driving on the road. I am also a little nervous about transmission strain, but I don't think that should be in an issue if you are up/down shifting appropriately. I think when you go to Command mode initially, it automatically puts it into a "S" mode, which is what I believe the dealer was talking about as far as extra power - that should not affect the transmission. I think it's more the up/down shifting inappropriately.

Well i did it for about 10 miles and decided to stop. Did not like the idea of the transmission slowing down my heavy vehicle and the sounds it makes. I did my best to be gentle by over anticipating the slow down distance but maybe it was my paranoia. I do not think this is a good thing for the tranny to use consistently for city driving for me...especially when 90% of my driving is city based. Good concept but it will not work for my life as a driver. Highway, i can see this being useful and i plan to use it when that applies. However thanks for the info and advice. Love this forum!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes were checked at 18K, were in "Green" zone, more them 6mm left... don't know exactly how much. But front pads were replaced per LTB00472NAS1 - i complained about the noise.

I believe the majority of the complaints from what i have read on this forum were from 2010's...then reduced at 2011 and i see 2012 models getting very few complaints. Maybe LR got it fixed and was quiet about it. I am happy for everyone who can get at least 20k-25k out of brake pads as it should be.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i had my 1 year service completed in November, i had 7mm remaining on my brakes. during my first year i put a little over 12k miles with 60% highway and 40% city driving. i have a 2012 MY

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i did it for about 10 miles and decided to stop. Did not like the idea of the transmission slowing down my heavy vehicle and the sounds it makes. I did my best to be gentle by over anticipating the slow down distance but maybe it was my paranoia. I do not think this is a good thing for the tranny to use consistently for city driving for me...especially when 90% of my driving is city based. Good concept but it will not work for my life as a driver. Highway, i can see this being useful and i plan to use it when that applies. However thanks for the info and advice. Love this forum!
Thanks for the update!

I was wondering how using the manual shifting mode in everyday (especially city) driving would be and I figured it would not be ideal. I definitely don't think it's good for the transmission and I opt for just driving low key and trying to be easy on the brakes. I know some folks like to drive fast, but I am more like a grandma driver - haha!

I think the Command mode (when terrain response is engaged) is great and definitely useful off road.

-David

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I end up Manually shifting both of my Rovers and past LR3, as I have manual transmission withdrawal symptoms, and I like being in the right gear for the particular situaion. When going downhill, I place it in a gear that keeps the RPMs at about 2.5K - 3K RPMs, and use the occasionally brakes to "bleed speed" rather than ride them.

One feature that works like a charm off road for Land Rovers is that when combined with HDC you can speed-up or slow down by shifting, as the HDC keeps you at a steady speed determined by each gear. So you never have to touch the pedals to speed up or slow down - love this. Prior SUVs with HDC or the like still picked-up speed to the point where I had to use the brakes - which was occasionally dicey.

Speaking of brake wear. We have a road bypass that is 0.6 miles long at about a 30 degree grade on the family ranch. It is usually a mix of grass/gravel/brush. I have an open rear diff on all of our Rovers, so there is a big reliance on the rear traction control. As a result my rear brakes wear out much faster than my fronts.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I manually shift our Discovery 4 daily and am also used to engine break from my previous manual transmission vehicles. I do the same on our 8-speed 328i.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo