Brake Metrics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would share this update about my 2011 LR4. Today I had the 2 year (30,000) service at almost 20,000 miles and they told me that my brakes were like brand new - hardly any wear. I know there has been a lot of discussion about brakes, so I wanted to share my numbers.

-David

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is incredible....almost non-believable but i follow your posts and i have no choice but to believe it. WOW! Myself 35k and 3 brake jobs (recently had one) already. May make it to 43k-45K. Avg every 15k.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is incredible....almost non-believable but i follow your posts and i have no choice but to believe it. WOW! Myself 35k and 3 brake jobs (recently had one) already. May make it to 43k-45K. Avg every 15k.
Hello lexman34,

It's true! :) I was waiting for the service guy to tell me that I needed new brakes soon, so I was pleasantly surprised when he said my brakes are almost like new. I have just shy of 20,000 after about 2.5 years of ownership. I am not doing anything special or anything, but I will say I am VERY easy on my brakes - or at least try to be easy on them in traffic.

Someone once told me that they engage the Command shifting quite often to slow down and save their brakes - anyone use that method (sort of like having a manual)?

-David

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello lexman34,

It's true! :) I was waiting for the service guy to tell me that I needed new brakes soon, so I was pleasantly surprised when he said my brakes are almost like new. I have just shy of 20,000 after about 2.5 years of ownership. I am not doing anything special or anything, but I will say I am VERY easy on my brakes - or at least try to be easy on them in traffic.

Someone once told me that they engage the Command shifting quite often to slow down and save their brakes - anyone use that method (sort of like having a manual)?

-David

Excuse my knowledge even after owning this vehicle for 3 years but what is command mode and how do you use it? I have heard that it is the preferred way of driving in the city.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my knowledge even after owning this vehicle for 3 years but what is command mode and how do you use it? I have heard that it is the preferred way of driving in the city.
The Command mode is when you pull your shifter to the left and you are then able to manually go through the gears by pushing up or down. I don't typically use this feature with everyday driving, but I definitely utilize it off road quite a bit. I would imagine that you will want to down shift to slow the vehicle down quicker, thus saving your brakes.

For an off-road example, when I am going down a small hill (say over obstacle course large bumps or small hills), when going down the hill in low gear I will often shift to first gear, then throw it back in regular mode so the gears can work on their own when going back up the hill.

It's a little cumbersome to shift up and down, but you get the hang of it quickly.

Anyone use Command mode in their everyday driving???

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that was it. I use that on the highway when i want some extra power as that is what the dealership told me to do but i would think that it is putting extra strain on the transmission? Heaven forbid the tranny should go when you out of of the warranty. That would be at least 10K. However i am going to try today on the way home to check it out.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that was it. I use that on the highway when i want some extra power as that is what the dealership told me to do but i would think that it is putting extra strain on the transmission? Heaven forbid the tranny should go when you out of of the warranty. That would be at least 10K. However i am going to try today on the way home to check it out.
I am curious to see what you think, as I never use it when driving on the road. I am also a little nervous about transmission strain, but I don't think that should be in an issue if you are up/down shifting appropriately. I think when you go to Command mode initially, it automatically puts it into a "S" mode, which is what I believe the dealer was talking about as far as extra power - that should not affect the transmission. I think it's more the up/down shifting inappropriately.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my understanding is you are only in "Command Mode" when you have engaged the terrain system. When the terrain system is in general (standard) then when you move the shifter over to sport mode, you can shift up and down just like any other triptronic shifter.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my understanding is you are only in "Command Mode" when you have engaged the terrain system. When the terrain system is in general (standard) then when you move the shifter over to sport mode, you can shift up and down just like any other triptronic shifter.
Thanks, Kaaae!

That explains what I was thinking about as far as the "Sport" mode vs. what I see on the trails. This makes sense to me now, as I was a bit confused and was going to test it after work.

You learn something new everyday! :) Or, what it's called - haha!

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you can still use Manuel mode to select the gear to slow you down, simular to a stick shift. But you have to weight the pros and cons on transmission vs break wear and tear and costs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635