Help! My LR4 Needs a New Engine & I Need Your Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Wyse

Reaction score
Reading this and interested since I have been dealing with the same issue....Although I am going through Divorce so opted to keep in the garage until a decision is made.....But can offer some advice as I did some reasearch on this in the past.....

So there is an options which I came across two years ago....he is a junkyard near Orange county....and he has over 20 LR 4's, etc...on site...and he performs engine rebuilds....at the time was offering a 15k engine and another 20k engine...that has timing issues, etc....

Costs were reasonable....Cost of rebuilt engine....new parts and timing chain and guides, injectors...etc...Essentially a rebuilt engine...$8k or so.... $1.5k to swap out the engines....He keeps your original...or you can negotiate a different fee for him to machine the old...if you think that the head, etc,, is still good and you prefer to keep your own?

He basically rebuilds and engine in the shop with the new replacement parts....New cooler...water pump, connections, injectors, guides...anyhow...he could explain all that he does...including a more hefty chain than the oem....as he indicated the oem was not strong enough for the engine...

****** it on the bench then when he has a client...performs the swap and then tests for 1 to 2 weeks.... Warranty for 1 year I believe???...

Anyhow, this was the best option I came across...Although still trying to decide if I'm going through with it...as I need to negotiate if I get the LR4 in the Divorce or not....

In your situation, I would likely consider this option ....$10k or so max to replace the engine with a rebuild and new replacement parts ensuring longer life of the engine....As opposed to considering a straight swap of a working engine but no upgrades....

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Everyone...

And if this is a stupid question please let me know.

Why not purchase the engine and do the work ourselves??

And in that case what configuration engine would we be getting? Short block? I don't know the term but is there such a thing as a "long" block.
And in overview, for Rover, what would a short and long block include.
And what might those costs look like for a warrantied engine of some configuration?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not everyone has the equipment and tools to install an engine.

Long block; heads already installed.
Short block; no heads.

New engine from JLR is stripped , except for the coolant pump and oil cooler.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owner got a long block though from Land Rover so with heads but the rest was swapped over. Original quote was $30k (dealer) but the final price was likely lower since through independent? Otherwise as I read it: Vehicle $20k, maintenance $13k and engine $30k. $63k but perhaps the nicest LR4 around?

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to minimize, and not that I ever want to do the work, but for understanding...

off the top of my head... a long block would then need, or need to be connected to - alternator, viscous fan, belts, intake and exhaust manifolds, supercharger depending on model year, coolant plumbing, electrical connections, transfer case, motor mounts, probably more...
and a few weeks of my time...

I can do that...
Now let's pray that I never actually need to !

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of boring out the cylinders, installing larger pistons and starting with a fresh clean sleeved block and all new internals. Stock CI is 302 and with pistons bored 50 over is a respectable displacement increase. There is no replacement for displacement.

I want all new injectors and coils for my engine. There are cheaper options but the reality is the people that are going to rebuild for cheap are very likely cutting corners. A rebuild can go wrong very easily and it takes skills and abilities to do it right so that it doesn't blow apart.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boring out the cylinders and increasing displacement is seriously beyond my experience and capabilities,

but I can comment on using cheap injectors and coils.

I changed all 6 in the Nissan Maxima and went the cheap route. Less than a month later I was back at it again and that time I used all OEM parts - all good since then.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Tapa to get the displacement increase because he told me in a previous conversation the engines have more power because they are bored out. I caught him in a lie, they are not producing more power from being bored out. I did the math with the numbers he gave me. Stock is 305 CI and when they are done it is 308 CI lol. Bummer. At least I didn't buy it based on a lie. I don't mean to say the engine isn't worth buying and I may still order it and have someone else install it. I just wanted to clear up the misinformation I've spread from him to this forum.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to be all "well, actually", but wouldn't it make a tiny bit more power from those extra 3 CI? :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV