Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). yes, the xkr, xjr and s-type R can burn the rubber right off the tires (love those Eaton superchargers). All it costs is more gas. Lots of it.
I have a very healthy resume of off road driving, all over the world. The LR4 is too heavy as a rally vehicle… so I won’t be needing that extra hp on this vehicle.
Coincidentally, my friend with an ML63 AMG is all about taking off from the intersection on a green light…. but it never ventures out in inclement weather let alone off road…

Last edited:

Blueaz

Reaction score
The only upgrade I really need on these LR4s is bigger wheel wells. They are just too low to the ground and heavy for little 30" to 32" tires.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes…. but the size does make good sense. If there is an air suspension failure and the vehicle is on the stops… you can still drive it. If you oversize too far, you’ll be stuck. And that would really suck if you were in the deep back 40.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is perfect for overlanding offroad. I'd like to get the BFG K02's, but will need to settle for another tread pattern because they don't offer them in the LR4 size. There is the Toyo Open Country A/T III or the BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A. The Toyo looks more aggressive for desert and mountain terrain.
Love my Toyos. Wouldn’t hesitate to put another set on.

If I go to 18” wheels I’m throwing Nitto Ridge Grapplers on, or one of their other hybrid tires.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you really want better brakes I've seen some people fit the 10-13 RRS Supercharged 6 piston brake calipers to LR4. Only problem is you cant fit 18 inch wheels on them.
I’m in the middle of this swap and yes, at a bare minimum, 20” rims are a requirement.

Blueaz

Reaction score
Yes…. but the size does make good sense. If there is an air suspension failure and the vehicle is on the stops… you can still drive it. If you oversize too far, you’ll be stuck. And that would really suck if you were in the deep back 40.
That's my whole point...the wheel wells are too small. You can only fit up to about a 31.5" tire without rubbing in the wheel wells, which is too small for these trucks in my opinion.

I have 32" Nitto Ridge Grapplers (275/65/18) and I do rub in the rear wheel wells if on the bump stops. I have the Lucky 8 SYA kit to compensate for that, just have to install. I also have the XLifter module so I can constantly keep the suspension up above stock height. I've shaved back my front frame horns and, interestingly, I only rub the frame horns when driving on tight mountain switch backs when the full weight of this beast gets shoved to a front corner. One day I'll get around to cutting or grinding the frame horns back a bit more.

The ground clearance, or lack thereof, means that you have to drag these truck over any substantial rocks. Most "trails" are run by trucks with larger tires in the 35" range. Therefore rocks and ruts form on on the trails that are cleared by tires in the 35" size range. 33" tires would be better but the stock 29.5" or 30" and even the 32s I have just don't quite cut it. I've also noticed that the LR4 might clear an obstacle but it's so heavy that it often bounces down onto rocks that you previously cleared while you're crawling along.

Last weekend I ran a trail that I run multiple times per year. It changes with each major rain event and sometimes it's rockier than other times. My 2004 D2 with a mild OME HD lift (about 2-2.5") and 33" tires ran this trail easily. The LR4 took a few good hits this time around:

1.jpg
2.jpg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the clearance issues, are you concerned at all about damaging the EAS system? I was considering getting rock/tree sliders as my first underbody armor, but it looks like you don't have either from your pictures, but you have the control arm skids.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I had sliders on my 2004 D2 but never so much as touched them on rocks. I haven't put them on the LR4 for the same reason but maybe I should. The air compressor is tucked up along the frame rail and it's pretty well protected but I have hit it. My plastic cover is cracked apart and it vibrates on the compressor when it runs and the mounting plate for the compressor is bent. I have a spare compressor and a spare plastic cover in the garage (I also have a spare air tank). I have tried to get a specific skid plate or guard for the compressor from one of the overseas companies but they won't ship to the US. You're correct that an alternative is to get sliders that also protect the compressor. I've seen an example of this at my local independent Rover mechanic's shop and they are nice. But the mechanic hates it because you have to remove the slider to service the compressor (which is why this particular LR4 was in his shop). My mechanic hates my skid plates too because he has to drop them for service and all the rocks, sand, and dried mud make a mess of his shop floor. Oh well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72