Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you really want better brakes I've seen some people fit the 10-13 RRS Supercharged 6 piston brake calipers to LR4. Only problem is you cant fit 18 inch wheels on them.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
THE best performance is a healthy engine for the 5.0 V8. The best performance upgrade for the SCV6 is swapping out the lower pulley and tune. One of the guys I've met on here did this a few years ago was pushing about 450 HP and averaging 20+ mpg at 80+ mph in stop/go Los Angeles, CA traffic.

Spark plugs, carbon cleaning intake valves, clean (or new) injectors, paper air filters, clean TB, clean MAFs, new O2 sensors, and fresh oil seems to do wonders. I did all this while doing my timing and it just purrs. I really appreciate a healthy oem truck. After that, I refreshed my entire suspension with oem parts and that does wonders too.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). back to “what are you using your LR4 for”
I have pulleys, tunes, cats on the xjr and xkr. But they are road cars and this adds a layer of “delicacy” and therefore “maintenance” to the car.

Is that what you want for an LR4? to drag between stop lights?? I use mine off road. and I want it to just work without the fiddling.

So like you, a clean healthy vehicle. And assume a maintenance schedule of “adverse condition”. At the moment I’m still sticking to oem. + I don’t believe in “sealed for life”.

Last edited:

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THE best performance is a healthy engine for the 5.0 V8. The best performance upgrade for the SCV6 is swapping out the lower pulley and tune. One of the guys I've met on here did this a few years ago was pushing about 450 HP and averaging 20+ mpg at 80+ mph in stop/go Los Angeles, CA traffic.

Spark plugs, carbon cleaning intake valves, clean (or new) injectors, paper air filters, clean TB, clean MAFs, new O2 sensors, and fresh oil seems to do wonders. I did all this while doing my timing and it just purrs. I really appreciate a healthy oem truck. After that, I refreshed my entire suspension with oem parts and that does wonders too.
Couldn't agree more. We bought our second 2013 with 68k and now it's at 108k it is running as good or better based on the basic maintenance advice from this forum including a bunch of Seafoam on both gas tanks and 100 mi b4 oil changes and tranny services.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Al Pizzica interesting that you have two LR4s. I've been browsing vehicles on CL and FB just to see what's out there. I really like the look of a fully off-road modified Disco II, but they've got obvious problems and finding a decent one is rare as hen's teeth. Next would be the LR3, but it is the LR4, but not as good. So then it's back to the LR4. Here's the Disco II I really like. This one sold a couple months ago before I had a chance to ever look at it, but I'd replicate it if I could. Maybe put a safety systems style roof rack on it with old-school round lights and a winch would be about it. (Sorry, I forgot this was the "increased" performance thread, not the "decreased" reliability thread.) ;)

Attachments

• 00s0s_496mqK3WwFm_0t10CI_1200x900 (1).jpg
    00s0s_496mqK3WwFm_0t10CI_1200x900 (1).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 00Z0Z_4IYEZAVYRRD_0CI0CI_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_4IYEZAVYRRD_0CI0CI_1200x900.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 00a0a_lqNSLtbkiDp_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_lqNSLtbkiDp_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 21
  • 00303_9Hv0OBA7p9s_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00303_9Hv0OBA7p9s_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot to the lr4 scv6. But for performance it’s really limited by availability. I have done upper and lower pulleys and a velocity AP tune. That puts out a ton of hp. I did an upgraded Bosch coolant pump to push more through the SC. I did the drilled and slotted rotors and EBC yellow stuff brake pads. Everything else is for reliability and proactive maintenance. But as for the reliability of those mods - no issues at 122k. Per Eaton mechanics- the sc needs a rebuild usually at 120k. Which I did earlier.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I change the supercharger fluid at 50k km intervals.
I can’t see the value of slotted and drilled rotors, off road in these vehicles. Though I use low gears in low on the transfer box as opposed to the brakes.
I haven’t had a need for more hp. And I have pressed in incline level limits.
Are you speaking mi or km?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72