Breaks squeal while in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with the squealing brakes while in reverse. My sport has been back to the dealership 4 times since last month at which time I had all new brake pads and rotors done. I'm so frustrated with this because this squeal/squeak is very annoying. We pay far too much to have this work done at the dealership to have these issues.

Has your issue been resolved?

They still squeal after 2500 miles on them. I will wait for another 1000 miles before taking in. I would rather have the dealership people not touch the car if they don't have to!

1badrover

Reaction score
Ours made the noise backing up too, for about 7k miles. Then it just went away one day.
The brakes haven't sweeked since, 14k now. I'd even bought some anti squeal stuff and was just about ready to pull the wheels. A lot of the wheel dust went away too about the same time.
I'm with you...don't visit the Dealer unless dire straits insists

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours made the noise backing up too, for about 7k miles. Then it just went away one day.
The brakes haven't sweeked since, 14k now. I'd even bought some anti squeal stuff and was just about ready to pull the wheels. A lot of the wheel dust went away too about the same time.
I'm with you...don't visit the Dealer unless dire straits insists
This is good to know! I only have this happen once in a while and I just turned 2,100 miles on my LR4.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3100 miles and it still squeals like a $^%$^ while in reverse.
Hopefully it will get better.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who has ha the TSB listed above in a previous post had more brake squealing occur? I had this tSB done in February and ever since, my rear breaks squeal going forward while rolling to stop signs and lights and not in reverse anymore. I would have kept the reverse squeal insteAd of this more consistent front squeal had I known this would happen.

I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to drop off for installing roof rails and I asked the dealership to look at the rear brakes again. They are Already preemptively telling me this is common due to all the break dust and I already called bull on it.

Any feedback from folks who have done the rear break TSB would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Lu

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ougrad1,

I have not had an issue at all, but I know you need to be very firm and persistant with the LR dealership. If they are not willing to look into it further, call LR of North America and complain. There is a TSB and it should be fixed.

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tsb Done a few months ago. They replaced calipers and rear pads. I had squealing in froward and reverse. No issues since.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll mention these points to my service agent tomorrow.

Thanks, guys!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up on my experience with this issue. My dealer dtermined that when they did the TSB, they should have also replaced the rotors too. My rotors had developed a lip and that was what made the squeal worse after the initial TSB service work was done earlier this year. My dealer replaced my rotors for free.

I would suggest people ask for the rotors to be replaced too if the brake squel is still prevalent afterwards or in my case, worse than before the TSB service.

Side note, the dealer did let me know my front break pads still have half the life and I've put 20k miles on those pads - that is comforting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink