Brittle speaker grates...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

Has anyone had to replace their speaker grates? Or even better, did you replace them with something better and do you have your spares around still?

I had an item slide into the large rear speaker grate this week and it cracked. A piece fell off and disappeared inside the speaker. Oh joy. It was a good hit, but still, seems this is a little too brittle and easily cracked. A more pliable/rubbery material would have been better for something that sticks out in the cargo area.

Well, watch out for your grates and let me know if you have any extras or tips for replacing them! (looks like a door panel removal and hopefuly an easy pop out replacement). Thanks!

-todd

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading your post, I looked at my speaker grills and they are plasticy. I just upgraded my stock speakers to Alpines, and I'm going to ask the car stereo place that changed them out about diifferent grills to p[rotrect my investment. I wanted to keep the stock look, but maybe there's a better alternative.

T

toddjb123

Did you notice much of a sound difference? I think the HSE sounds pretty good as it is, but an upgrade never hurts if the stereo can drive them...

Well, if you get new grills, have 'em save the old ones! I'll pay for shipping or buy 'em from you!

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it sounds way better (than the SE ~300watt system). I had a center speaker installed in the dash (the HSE had one there but the SE did not) and replaced all of the door speakers front and rear with the Alpines. I also added 2 Alpine Amps (4x75 RMS) and a clean sweep filter which are inegreted with the original LR3 head unit. The system sounds appreciably better and all of the voice stuff for the nav, phone, etc. still work. I know I'm hearing sales blather from the after-market guys I dealt with, but they say that the OEM speakers in this case (LR2 SE) and in most cases are usually pretty cheap, even on the premium systems, compared to an aftermarket premium speaker. They cited examples about not only Rovers, but BMWs, Lexus and MBs having cheap speakers paired with big amps which sound OK but not as good as with a speager upgrade. I can attest to the better sound I have now in this rig. I'll keep you in mind if I replace my grilles-not sure yet.

F

Freeflytim

Todd- Im glad someone else is beating up their truck as I am!!!

T

toddjb123

Yup - I get out an enjoy the damn thing. I don't pamper it when I'm using it (but I do clean it all up best I can when I get home). The scratches just prove you're having fun with it. :)

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At our house, we call those scratches "fun marks." I may not bring myself to go get some until the weather inproves with the spring, but get them I will. If you're not going to actually use the thing in the dirt-buy an Audi.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99