Camber adjustment??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primetime

Reaction score
hello all. I went to get my six month alignment done. I had purchased the unlimited alignment package from firestone thinking that since I have an iid tool, and can put it into tight tolerance mode, it shouldn’t be much of a big deal. Anyway, below are the numbers that he came up with after the alignment. I asked about the front right camber being out, and he said the only way to do that is with shims which they don’t do. Is that accurate? I don’t like to jump down people’s throats when I don’t know what I’m talking about. The truck was purchased used and had been in a small accident in the front right which means something could be bent in there I guess. When I purchased the truck I put new lower front control arms and tie rods on immediately as it had the classic “stop clunk”. Should I bring it back to them and say they were wrong or is there something else at play. Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think camber is changed by adjusting the bolts in the lower control arm bushings, but I could be wrong.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That alignment still needs some work. I have the firestone package too, and they were able to align it to spec with all green. I will post the pic if I can find the latest printout but camber is adjustable with the lower cam bolts in the LCAs and toe the usual way.

Edit: I have the IID tool as well and never put it into any tight tolerance mode(don't even know what that is...). Maybe that's your issue, if you did that before letting them align?

Primetime

Reaction score
The photo is of a printout before and after the alignment. The top one has a lot of red but the bottom one only has the one red camber on the passenger front. Tight tolerance mode is designed to lock the suspension so that you can get a more accurate alignment completed. I’ve heard conflicting reports about it but my opinion is if it’s there it’s meant for something. Apparently the dealer uses this when doing an alignment. Maybe someone else can shed some more technical information regarding its functionality.

So, what you guys are telling me is that camber can be adjusted from the LCAs. Like I said, the tech said you had to shim the upper ones to adjust camber. Sounded odd to me but I didn’t know so I didn’t want to argue. I am going to try a different firestone and hopefully will have more successful results.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, I understand the printout. Firestone should be able to get your camber correct without any shims. If they can't, either something on that side is bent from the accident, some suspension component is worn, or they are incompetent.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop is wrong. The factory manual indicates that camber is adjusted by rotating the control arm eccentric bolts, as Ryan mentioned above. No shims are used. FSM screenshot below.

upload_2019-12-30_7-20-1.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM