Front driveshaft bolts went missing!! And an introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MellonRover

Reaction score
First post here, just decided to put my 1995 Mercedes wagon out to pasture. It will wither be sold or my 17 year old will drive it. Im entering the fray with a new to me 2010 Santorini and tan HSE, 136k.
Overall the truck seems in good condition, needs brakes and wipers for state inspection. Ive ordered parts, filters and fluids to get it baselined.

So heres where the first question i have comes in. About 20 mins after using full throttle for the first time i noticed a cyclical noise over 25-30mph, sounded like something on the driveline. It went away, then i noticed vibration under load that didnt go away. Got home and looked things over and noted i need a carrier bearing for the rear shaft, and the front driveshaft was loosely secured by THREE bolts! Apparently half of them didnt want to be of service.
Now, we get to an actual question, what is the bolt part#, and do they use the metal semi circular piece that typically goes under two bolts at a time? ( Do those have a name??) I read that the early design had a washer that caused the bolts to back out. I might have had this design? Want to order parts asap to fix this weekend. I saw the FSM available here, that is excellent btw! So ill use that for reinstall, just need help on the parts. Is there a good diagram based parts lookup for these rigs? Mercedes had a good setup for VIN based parts lookup ( so you always got the right parts)
Appreciation in advance, thanks all.

Edit: Just off phone with local parts counter at dealer. He was secretive about the part #'s for the 6 bolts and 6 Torque distribution washers. Once they are in I'll post part #'s to help anyone in the future. $48 for all 12 pieces.

Last edited:

MellonRover

Reaction score
Bolts and half moon washers. Pics and part #'s

Bolts- TYG500141
"Moon plate" bolt backing plate - TYF00010

Forgot to ask earlier....Is this normal for a rover? To just shed parts holding rotating masses?

Attachments

• 17128640801698419862000061009004.jpg
    17128640801698419862000061009004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MellonRover

Reaction score
All fixed....lucky i had my 8 year old to hold the brake and release as I rotated driveshaft. Make use of assistants that will be paid in sour patch kids while I can! Also want to thank the JLR engineers, that heavy "parts grabber plate" on the bottom of the truck did its job, found these on top. I guess parts "skid" into them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM