Passenger side air intake and front sunroof drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chakadog

Reaction score
Hey mates - Rover trivia tonight.

Yes the drain was clogged, **** whacker line to the rescue. But I wanted to trade notes about the outlet of this line, which as most of us know drains into, or rather behind, the right-side engine air intake grille.

The cleaned-out drain tube drained fast until I put everything back together—then very slow.

Behind the grille, there's a sheet metal recess holding the 90-degree plastic elbow directing air to the engine. Part #2 in the diagram.
Behind that is a foam "elbow pad" of sorts—vibration dampener?.
Behind *that* is the drain tube exit, which protrudes about 1/2" into the cavity. Water is supposed to drain down behind this foam piece, hit the floor of the sheet metal recess, and find its way to another drain hole in the right-rear corner of this recess.

One thing that was impeding water flow from the sunroof is the fact that the foam "elbow pad" piece is mashed up tight against the drain outlet. It still drains, albeit slowly, since somewhat shockingly the foam piece is open-cell and acts like a fine-grained sponge—I could literally wring water out of it.

Adding to the mystery—on the back of the foam piece is a generous cutout—but that cut-out is at the bottom of the elbow, not at the top, where you'd expect it to be.

I added my own cut-out and hacked some of the foam away to give the drain exit some air, and then the sunroof drained reasonably quickly.

So I'm left with a couple of questions:

- did my truck come with the wrong part? or are they all like this? (referring to the foam "elbow pad" behind the plastic intake duct).
- why in the world would Rover engineers specify an open-cell sponge in this location?

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • LR3 Air Intake diagram.png
    LR3 Air Intake diagram.png
    395.2 KB · Views: 16

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I tossed my foam. Nothing but trouble. Could it be intended for sound deadening?

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That foam piece was mis-shapen where the elbow is on mine, so I re-formed it to allow drainage.

I kept that top foam since it seemed like it would block dripping water from being sucked into the intake.
Not just sound deadening - at least in my head - so I kept it.

I DID however gladly pull and ditch the plastic bag filled with foam (and water) that is stuffed down in the lower triangle area below all that. It was literally a mush bag full of water and foam. Yuck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72