Dual engine air intake channels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure a "ram air" is going to change anything. You get lots of fresh cool air with the dual intakes, just not rammed in. With the plethora of insects lately I prefer the side design as my airbox doesn't get filled with crap.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure a "ram air" is going to change anything. You get lots of fresh cool air with the dual intakes, just not rammed in. With the plethora of insects lately I prefer the side design as my airbox doesn't get filled with crap.

I've been playing around with logging ambient vs IAT vs supercharger temps. I can post some data once I have a chance to go through it, but my initial impression is that (at city speeds) the intake charge is picking up a surprising amount of heat by the time it gets to the MAF. This is largely an academic concern since our cars don't exactly have sporting pretentions, but interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Also, haven't done the math, but I'm guessing "ram air" isn't going to add much pressure-wise, at least at speeds that won't get you arrested.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main thought process is that at low speeds or sitting, air is pulled in through the side vents, but at higher speed the air passing over the side vents creates negative pressure in the intake tube resulting in the air boxes pulling in air from the engine bay through gaps/drain holes. Thinking about how it works when you ride with the window cracked or down and the passing air sucks air from the cabin.

Not trying to gain a lot of hp, just thinking out loud.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main thought process is that at low speeds or sitting, air is pulled in through the side vents, but at higher speed the air passing over the side vents creates negative pressure in the intake tube resulting in the air boxes pulling in air from the engine bay through gaps/drain holes. Thinking about how it works when you ride with the window cracked or down and the passing air sucks air from the cabin.

Not trying to gain a lot of hp, just thinking out loud.

Ahh, got it. OK, maybe my joke about side scoops would be an interesting 3d printing project actually...

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize until flipping through the service manual while planning for the rear crossover replacement, those cool looking vents on the side of the LR4 are functional and they are for the engine air intake. Very unique. There are two air filters too. I haven't seen that before now. It is well thought out, probably for water fording? Normally manufactures have one air channel and the air is captured from the front of the vehicle.

View attachment 23676
Does anyone know if this is essentially the same set up as the 3L SC V6? Or better yet, does anyone have a diagram of it? TIA!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same set up.
Only difference would be the mass air flow sensor mounting.

Diagram of what?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72