2016 HSE, wet floormats, and can't find the drain ends!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Not to derail, but my cowl experience.

This is super easy, do it yourself.

They seem to warp even if mostly kept in the garage.
The 2013 and 2015 both need replacements.
The 2016 I did before it went off to University - because the windshield had a crack and was replaced, and it needed a new cowl as well.

You will see what I mean about a poorly placed air intake once the cowl is removed, somehow it warps worst right at that location - of course...

Carefully remove A-Pillar covers so as not to damage them, use plastic trim removal tools. (Ask me how I know...)
New A-Pillar clips from Atlantic British - better than Rover.
Those clips from AB, at least mine, came with a couple nice round rubberish adhesive circles for covering the extra holes in the body.
Now is a good time to touch up any scratches., wash, wax.

New cowl from Palm Beach Rover On-line parts.
Comes with new clips. Extra shipping because it's large, but still likely less expensive all in than your local dealership.

Carefully remove wiper arms, use a tool, it's like a mini-steering wheel puller, about $13 at Amazon.

"OTUAYAUTO Battery Terminal and Wiper Arm Puller"​

Make sure you take photo of where the arms rest on the windshield so you can get them back in the same position.

I am trying this.
I got this from a windshield company, I also got some at Amazon, I put a bead of it on the glass, so it will be under the cowl, across the entire windshield, and pitched it to drain water to the edges. I have some concerns about trapped water/ice, but it's ok so far after 2 years. About $25.

"ZXMT PROMOTOR Butyl Sealant Tape 2PCS Sealants Butyl Rubber Tape for Installing Car Part, Windows, Doors and Windshield or Other"​

thebruce

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Not sure what you mean by the "wheel arm liners?" You mean the plastic liners in the arch for the rear wheels?

As difficult as it is to pull the intake grills off without breaking something, and given the way things are constructed, it's very tempting to put an extension on the front tubes to bring a port to the lip of the grill so I can just blow it out periodically without needing to take things apart. Either that or I need to rig up something so I can blow through from the top side.

Yea sorry meant rear wheel arch liners. In both my LRs the rear arch liner was a little loose at the top or the arch. I thought they just drooped with age but then realized it was because my indy was pulling them down to access those rear drains.

I posted not too long ago the technical bulletin from LR. Attaching here again.

Ive never had the cowling leak on either my LR3 or LR4. Always came from the sunroof drains. But I know it's a "thing", especially if you see it warped. But my understanding was if it's from the cowling the water will leak into your glove box, cabin air filter...and fuse box, then down into the floorboard. So check there first. If from a clogged sunroof drain you will a) get water in the front floorboards b) possibly see some water around the airbag LR logo on your windshield pillars and c) also possibly get some drips from your center dome light. Ive seen them all but mostly just saw it in the passenger floorboard based on how the car was parked in the driveway.

Attachments

• Land Rover - LA-501-012 - Water Ingress.pdf
    262.7 KB · Views: 19

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the water going down through the area with the arrows as indicated here?

1705011001283.png

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick write up about my sunroof drains here: There are a few pictures of the tricky spots that have been discussed here. I also currently have the interior out of my LR4 and can take pics/video and show exactly how/where the drains are run.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72