Stock LR4 and 275 55 20s - the results!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
I have those same 20 in Rover wheels and threw on a set of USED BFG ATs and I am less than a cm away from the upper control arm and less than a cm away from that bump out in the frame. I think if the tires were new, they would rub very slightly. Anyone putting larger tires than this have to be rubbing.?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After almost a month of living with this setup, I have some updates and feedback. First, there is some faint rubbing under tight right turns(but not left). This happens in the the parking lot and it is audible, although not felt in the steering wheel. Inspecting the tire, there are no visible grooves or other wear marks. IT sounds like either the tire is rubbing slightly on the frame horn, or on the wheel well lining. I still think that this will disappear as the tire wears, as it's barely noticeable but it is there nonetheless. Otherwise, the setup is great. Bumps are better absorbed, high speed driving is nice and stable and the handling has improved greatly in twisty mountain roads. I still have to reprogram the speedometer using my GAP tool, as it is showing 5mph under on the highway(75 is really 80 according to phone gps). Overall, still very happy with this decision - the truck looks and drives great. I'll go do some mild off-roading and see how it goes. Got to drive in some light snow in the mountains of WV this past weekend and the tires were great.

Northern Rover

Reaction score
I threw on a set of 275/55/R20 KO2's and have experienced the same minimal rubbing

I'll throw on some before and after pic's

Before

IMG_3436.JPG

After

IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
LR4.JPG

gypsy

Reaction score
I threw on a set of 275/55/R20 KO2's and have experienced the same minimal rubbing

I'll throw on some before and after pic's

Before

View attachment 10310

After

View attachment 10311 View attachment 10312 View attachment 10313

I'm assuming this is with a 2.5" lift as you state in your signature?

Not really the same as running them on an otherwise stock LR4 like the thread starter was getting at.

I'm curious if the Ko2's would rub in this size at stock height.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5" lift

Completely irrelevant and useless to consider rods saving you or making a tire "fit". They do nothing to make it truly fit during compression or lowered.

32" diameter is going to rub during compression inside the rear fender liner at the "bulge" at a minimum. They probably also run the front near the bumper and depending on width and wheel offset, will likely grab the wiring loom against the frame on driver side but you must move that upward about 3-4".

31.5" will fit no problem, in all aspects and also easily fit underneath into factory spare location. I don't know what 275/55-20 comes to on diameter but the above numbers are universal.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. Here are some pics with it in access mode. Now that I retested it, there is very faint rubbing in access mode when doing tight left turns. It's barely noticeable but it sounds like the top of the tread is making contact with the frame horn. Very faint, all noise and no vibration felt through steering wheel. I imagine as the tire wears, this will disappear. Normal height, there is no rubbing. All the pics are in access mode. Hope this helps!!
d9bbe96a1eb1aa6b4e7efe5932d67237.jpg
68a278aed444332e64084c35849773f2.jpg
6cf4356e6cc4d72c8ee13daa81257a94.jpg
4f6fa1ef4b2590b5036bc3a80b6c684f.jpg

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

They look great!
So when you say Access mode -the key take away here is 32 inch tires will stuff in to the wheel well and rotate in the event of air loss and an EAS failure?
Any thing larger than that would be SOL without strut spacers?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post an update to those who were wondering about the spare tire. I sourced a 20inch wheel and got a used 275 55 20 tire mounted on it. The rim was from a 20inch lr4, actually the same wheel as the black LR4 is running a couple of posts above this one. Anyway, the used tire i found was a toyo open country with a mild tread pattern but plenty of tread left. In order to get it to fit in the spare wheel well, I had to deflate the tire to 5psi and then finally finagled it in there. The hitch receiver housing is a problem as it gets in the way(as noted by others) But, deflation fixed that issue and some wd40 on the spot where it hit the receiver housing. I guess I will carry around a 12v cheap compressor if I ever need to use the spare.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look great!
So when you say Access mode -the key take away here is 32 inch tires will stuff in to the wheel well and rotate in the event of air loss and an EAS failure?
Any thing larger than that would be SOL without strut spacers?
Access mode is just the lowest of the three settings of the air suspension. When EAS fails, I believe it drops even lower, down to the bump stops. I think with this setup, it would be immobilized if that happened, unfortunately.

gypsy

Reaction score
I think a little compressor is a must anyway. It's too bad land rover didn't have a hook up to the air ride reserve tank to use to fill the tires. My old touareg had a factory attachment underneath the passenger seat. Makes so much sense.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely irrelevant and useless to consider rods saving you or making a tire "fit". They do nothing to make it truly fit during compression or lowered.

32" diameter is going to rub during compression inside the rear fender liner at the "bulge" at a minimum. They probably also run the front near the bumper and depending on width and wheel offset, will likely grab the wiring loom against the frame on driver side but you must move that upward about 3-4".

31.5" will fit no problem, in all aspects and also easily fit underneath into factory spare location. I don't know what 275/55-20 comes to on diameter but the above numbers are universal.

Jwest,
In your testing have you found that 32 inch tires absolutely require strut spacers to turn when fully stuffed in the event of an EAS failure?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV