Nuts & Bolts... and Screws (basically fasteners)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic. I have a couple real minor fasteners that I would like to replace, but they appear to be black plastic. One is the screw tab for the rear bumper plate that covers the recovery ring and tow wiring. There are two that are underneath and hold the plate in place. When I first tried to remove that plate one of the originals snapped totally off. I just use a black zip tie. but it would be nice to have the real thing. The other is the plastic bolt that holds on the trim on the top of the tailgate. It is the plastic strip that caps the tailgate and makes contact with the bottom lip of the lifting hatchback. One of my plastic bolts is missing and another looks like someone put some black caulk in the hole and covered it with the button head of the fastener. I can take a picture of that one if it isn't clear what I am describing. These are kind of oddball fasteners. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic. I have a couple real minor fasteners that I would like to replace, but they appear to be black plastic. One is the screw tab for the rear bumper plate that covers the recovery ring and tow wiring. There are two that are underneath and hold the plate in place. When I first tried to remove that plate one of the originals snapped totally off. I just use a black zip tie. but it would be nice to have the real thing. The other is the plastic bolt that holds on the trim on the top of the tailgate. It is the plastic strip that caps the tailgate and makes contact with the bottom lip of the lifting hatchback. One of my plastic bolts is missing and another looks like someone put some black caulk in the hole and covered it with the button head of the fastener. I can take a picture of that one if it isn't clear what I am describing. These are kind of oddball fasteners. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Maybe this? DYR500010

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @hickersb that looks right. I can't imagine it would be any different on a RR than a LR.

I wonder if these are the ones for the tailgate? I don't see any screw heads on mine. They just look like plastic button heads.

But there are 4 holes and they are selling 4 screws. Those screws don't look like anything special for $17.

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @hickersb that looks right. I can't imagine it would be any different on a RR than a LR.

I wonder if these are the ones for the tailgate? I don't see any screw heads on mine. They just look like plastic button heads.

But there are 4 holes and they are selling 4 screws. Those screws don't look like anything special for $17.
Those look correct for the lower tailgate trim screws. However, if they're lost there is a chance that the metal U-Type fastener clips that the screws thread into got dropped into the tailgate.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If we're thinking of the same thing, I believe there's a little plastic trim cap that covers the screws. (This isn't a Defender, we COVER our screws!) You can just pull it off (or put a butter knife underneath to grab an edge etc)

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here, check this out --

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@f1racer328 Yup, just a bored out hole inside the metal panel inside the door. No clip or nut to secure the screw to. Hmm. Don't want to pull the entire door apart to look for a lost piece that's probably not even there. Maybe there is another way to go. Something like a drywall anchor that expands inside to fill the hole in the metal panel. Maybe just a larger screw. Need to think on this one.

Maybe something like this long guy.

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@f1racer328 Yup, just a bored out hole inside the metal panel inside the door. No clip or nut to secure the screw to. Hmm. Don't want to pull the entire door apart to look for a lost piece that's probably not even there. Maybe there is another way to go. Something like a drywall anchor that expands inside to fill the hole in the metal panel. Maybe just a larger screw. Need to think on this one.

Maybe something like this long guy.

Just lookup “U-Type fastener clips” on Amazon or eBay or something.

I’m sure you can find a generic kit with the correct size.

I just took the trim off my tailgate and was able to find the clip that fell, so I got lucky.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just lookup “U-Type fastener clips” on Amazon or eBay or something.

I’m sure you can find a generic kit with the correct size.

I just took the trim off my tailgate and was able to find the clip that fell, so I got lucky.
@f1racer328 I'm sure you are luckier than I. I'd be looking for 2 of them.

For future reference, looks like this has everything in one package:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72