Made an appointment for timing chain fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop working on my LR4 said they found a leaky radiator. $440 for it and no labor cost. It seems overpriced by $140. I looked online and found rads around $250-$300 w/out shipping, but I'm not sure if they are better or worse quality than stock. To me a plastic radiator is cheap, but even aluminum, brass or whatever will leak. I asked my local Land Rover for a quote but haven't heard back. Is that price way out of line and are people upgrading the radiators? I don't plan to tow, might I might some day.

Ltn5CUM.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$440 seems right. I have yet to see any report of an aftermarket cooling-system part being as good as a factory part, so I'd stay away from aftermarket (unless the "aftermarket" part was the same as OEM, just under the aftermarket manufacturer's name).

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$440 seems right. I have yet to see any report of an aftermarket cooling-system part being as good as a factory part, so I'd stay away from aftermarket (unless the "aftermarket" part was the same as OEM, just under the aftermarket manufacturer's name).
That is a relief, thanks.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this mechanic charging you standby time as you shop out everything?
No, he emailed and gave the $440 cost with a picture of the leaky rad. I approved it and didn't hear about being charged standby time. Aside from that, they didn't get all the parts needed so now I have a new eta for the 14th. Its been a long time since I dropped it off on the 27th of last month.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@powershift I'll be excited to hear how this all works out once the dust settles. I've been contemplating having the normal major preventative maintenance done sometime over the next 12 months. Right now, I'm going through a good patch. Everything work and it runs just fine. Usually, I'm a "If it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of guy. But I realize from postings here that it is "broken", it just hasn't "broke" yet. Once it does break, it will be too late to fix it, or cost more than it's worth. I guess that's why they call it "preventative" maintenance. ;)

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. I just talked with my insurance company First Rate Insurance and they only pay-out for the value of the truck and providing receipts for all the maintenance work would not change the payout. Not a huge deal since I haven't had a claim in over 30 years. Companies like Progressive wouldn't even insure it at all. My rates also went up $120 for 6 months. No tickets nor accidents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72