Child Seat in Middle Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there are no LATCH connectors in the middle. I personally don't find LATCH/Isofit much more convenient. Yes, child seats can fit in the 3rd row. Why wouldn't they? Do note the 3rd row is pretty darn close to the rear of the vehicle; some may have reservations.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roadguy55

Child Seats Continued,,,,

You can put a child seat in any seat where a seatbelt is located (except up front with the airbags). The LATCH system in the LR3 as well as many other vehicles generally only apply to the outboard seats in the rear or center row if there are three rows.

You can use 3rd row of the LR3 to place a child seat using the seatbelts but it could be a nightmare getting the kid in and out unless the child is old enough and can be trusted to buckle up properly (with visual inspection at least). My back hurts just thinking about it. Instrusion into the vehicle compartment would most likely be minimal in the rear but the glass breaking during a crash can be an issue, but that is an issue in any position.

As far as the latch itself is concerned, I have a found a few vehicle owners that arent thrilled with the LATCH system. Most of the time its the choice of child seat that makes this a problem, not the latch systems themselves. Some of the LATCH belts are not the easiest to adjust.

The basic idea when purchasing a child seat is to buy one the fits your vehicle, fits your child and one you will install correctly every time.

There are alot of seats to choose from out there and they all must pass federal crash tests. Test Results and Recalls can be found online at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.

J

JoelD

neytas2000 said:
So is there or is there not a LATCH system connection for the Middle Seat?

How about the 3rd row? Can you put a car seat in that row? I know you can in a Honda Pilot (not that I am comparing the 2)
I know there are no LATCH mounts in the third row, I checked when I was looking LR3s over this weekend. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to secure the little ones in their seats if they were way in the back as well.

S

schafari

According to the local child seat inspectors, you need 18" of clearance behind the rear seat to the hatch to be safe and sound in the safety cage of the vehicle. The problem wiht the 3rd row, is that the glass is not 18" away from the top of the seat.

I am going to try to put three seats across. A Britax Roundabout and a Britax Marathon on the outside seats, and a booster seat in the center.

There is no latch in the center seat position.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari said:
I am going to try to put three seats across. A Britax Roundabout and a Britax Marathon on the outside seats, and a booster seat in the center.
I have done this successfully using those exact models, but I had the booster on the side so it was easier to get to the 3rd row. The booster was a Britax Parkway Express. Thankfully, I will never have 3 children. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635