Climate Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOinker

Reaction score
Ok, so my AC/Climate Control has been making weird noises progressively for about the past two years. It has changed and progressed with different sounds until whatever part finally gave out. Here is how it progresses thru the degradation process (if that's a term). At one time my son said it sounded like"two elves banging."

Does anyone know what part went bad? What is the difficulty rating to repair said part for the "advanced" DIY-er? Basically, what broke and how hard will it be to fix?

2013 LR4 HSE 5.0L, approx 130k miles

Here's a few videos of the noise progressing thru the last year or so...

Final video - Squeaking has finally stopped and turned into a rattling from the dash. I guess whatever part was going bad, finally went bad. Climate control still works 90% of the time. Still blows hot and cold. Occasionally, the defrost will quit and all windows will fog up. Thanks to the heated windshield, I haven't crashed yet.

Any ideas? I can't be the first.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you I have had three Rovers and I've never heard those noises coming from the AC. Definitely a "degradation" in process. #1 sounds like a fan issue..rubbing or obstruction. #2 sounds like some sort of baffle attempting to open or close (or demonic possession). #3 is back to the fan. Maybe there's something on this forum I don't see, but there are posts on others about debris getting into the fan/motor via the fresh air plenum intake and having to be cleaned out. Might start there. I haven't done that before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM