Cold start hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 disco with 140k.. The engine starts with no problem, but when I put it in drive it kind of hesitates until warmed up.. I give it gas and it takes a few seconds before taking off quick.. I have no problems like this on warm days and I use 93 octane always..

Prior to this problem I took it to my exhaust shop a few weeks ago and was told I needed 2 o2 sensors, a new y pipe, and right side manifold.. Would the exhaust have an effect on the engine hesitation during cold starts? or could it be a fuel filter, pump or injector issue? I sometimes smell a little gas during start up.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
TPS (throttle position sensor) may be dirty....

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Joey...

Where would I locate the tps and how should I clean it if dirty???
oh, How can I tell if dirty?

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks.. I will definitely try that this weekend.

One quick question, Do I pore it down into the engine or up into the other part? Does it matter?

Which end of hose do I remove?

Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, the seafoam part is for other issues, the picture was to indicate where the Throttle possition sensor and the IAC are located so you can remove and clean with some contact cleaner.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tps Clean

What Would You Recommend Using To Clean The Tps /iac?
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
As always a non-residue contact cleaner (you can buy at almost any electronics store)

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tps sensor??

95 disco, 140k

I checked out the tps sensor and it looked clean to me. any other options???
When I start it in the cold and put it in drive, it wants to die out.. If I give it gas right away it can easily be flooded.. Once warmed up it drives and restarts fine...

Any feedback greatly appreciated
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be fuel ejectors that are starting to go bad or the IAC may be dirty... lots of things can cause this issue. Last time plugs or wires were changed? Air filter, fuel filter... when was the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

This is where I would start.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo