Considering an LR3. Again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, it's been a while! I was an original 2005 LR3 HSE owner, put 90k miles before selling it back in 2012.

With this messy winter, I've been considering getting an LR3 again and have found a potential candidate. Question for everyone - have any new issues surfaced with age, or still primarily the usual wear items (bushings, rear latch, etc)? How are the air suspensions holding up? Engines going strong? Differentials?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. Plenty of familiar names still active here, so that is a good sign :)

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usual stuff....If the diffs are good and the suspension components too, then they are pretty solid. Steering components seem to get rigid over time and you'll want to find one with few enough miles that you can service the transmission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had only minor issues with our 2008 LR3 - rear latch, leaking lower control arm bushing like you noted plus a hood latch sensor and memory seat module. Engine and transmission are rock solid. Someone here is near 200K miles with no engine or transmission problems. Air suspension seems to very reliable, and Arnott Industries sells all the air suspension replacement parts.

We ordered a 2013 LR4 to get the V8 before it was extinct and planned to trade-in the LR3. But the LR3 is more reliable than my old allroad so we decided to keep it and sell the allroad. (Put lots of Arnott suspension parts into the allroad)

One warning...If you test drive an LR4, you will probably want one instead of an LR3. They upgraded so many things...5.0 engine makes the LR4 feel quick. Interior is better, nicer leather everywhere, no more squeaky door grab handles, better intermittent wiper speeds, better dash layout, nav & radio. And no need to paint the black plastic fender flares, bumpers and trim with Forever Black every spring.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
140.000 miles and still going strong.
Regular oil changes ,diff and T-case fluids every 30.000 paid off.
My diffs are library quiet, engine and tranny (with fluid changed at 100.000) as well.My first battery lasted 6 years and i am still on Original air compressor.
I did , however, changed a Thermostat housing , as it cracked around 100 K , so I figured, there is more plastic bits on entire cooling system with breathers and T connectors in few spots, so I replaced all cooling system rubber hoses with a new fluid , new rotors, new pads , new rubber as usual ,what else ?..
Front hood struts lost strength one day and I got hit in my head with hood as I was looking into engine bay, so ..replaced that , also as far as suspension goes,nobody can deny a weakening on shocks inside each air tower,I can very much feel every bump on the road, so my guess is , air shocks will have to be addressed at some point this year.Overall, my LR 3 has been pretty reliable so far, knock on wood..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY 2008 is the best 3.

I am not so positive on the LR4 as others are. Yes, a bigger engine would be nice but the way the layout of the centre console changed, I am not so certain the nicer looking interior is worth it. I do like the door panels however.

I regard the 2008 LR3 as the least worst of the bunch. LR had pretty much figured out all the problems; with 2009, they inserted a number of the new LR4 system changes in to try them out. I felt it was good the economy was so bad that not many were sold.

My 2005 is getting to where I regard it as reliable. Mechanically they are all strong. I am finally getting all the weak electrical bits weeded out; hence I am quite confident of my 3 now.

They still look good style wise; only the Mercedes G Wagon is stronger - the 3's remain a good ride.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The G-Wagon is Stronger? How do you mean?

Agree on the LR4. Which electrical bits have you fixed and how, bbyer?

Thanks!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a vault.

One of the things I most like about my 3 is how solid it is. It is probably the real reason I put up with all the nuisance stuff; to get a vehicle where when you close a door it is just feels solid, is getting more rare each year.

As with most German vehicles, the door hinges are cast metal rather than pressed. The advantage of cast is that it is a bit more rigid than pressed and that helps to make a door opening and closing more precise. That only works is the door posts are not beer can or similar. In other words, a solid piece bolted to a flimsy piece does not work; in the case of the 3, everything is more solid than usual and that is one reason it is so heavy. Actually I think the construction is really unit body mounted on a frame - kind of overkill until it does the 4x4 thing over undulating terrain.

Since we live daily with our 3's we do not even notice the solid way the doors open and close. What I suggest is find a G Wagon somewhere and open and close those doors; they are even more in solid feeling - that was what I was talking about.

Near where I live, there is a level railway crossing -three sets of tracks. I note that I do not slow down for the crossing whereas other vehicles do. For them, it is a combination of weak suspension and lots of body movement; with the 3, it just rolls over the tracks as if they were not there.

As to electrical bits, I have replaced the four wheel height sensors; they wear over the years and give not so accurate readings later in life - not enough to trigger alarms, but just enough to be difficult - a maintenance item. Right after warranty was over, the suspension wiring to the sensors kind of quit/broke/corroded etc and needed repairing/replacement. LR upgraded the wiring on the newer units and the trouble is history.

There is a radio noise capacitor, part number LR020488 located near the tranny. Old age again and when it fails, blows fuse F30E that powers the transmission ECU - engine runs but no go. There is an ignition capacitor under the black plastic cover the again old age; it fails and no spark sometimes. The part number is LR004160 and easy to replace yourself.

Then there is the replacement of the rear upper hatch release switch. Fortunately I can say the replacement switch is an upgrade from the original - that is water cannot get into it any longer - and then there is the brake light switch which it sounds like LR has not upgraded it as the LR4 guys still seem to suffer from it.

The breather cap mod, part number LR019450 is not electrical but is another one of those low cost do it yourself type fix things that can save real money later, same the the tighten the ball screw re the left upper hatch strut.

And then is the the two new sway bar bolts, RYG501580 to replace the existing that where maybe all thread was not the best idea.

O yes, there was the new battery ground cable, YTB500300; seemed OK but I was having what turned out to be starter motor problems and the negative battery cable can have corrosion related concerns.

This stuff is just a nuisance; none of it is a big deal. I could continue the list with the cooling system plastic bits etc, but it all does add up to a continued list of irritants. Anyway, given the the basic drive train is quite strong and the body is solid, my confidence in my 3 continues to improve with time, the reverse of a normal vehicle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna get one of those ignition capacitors, thanks! Do you recall how much they cost by chance?

Great list, thanks.

I've driven a couple G-Wagens; indeed very solid.

no-pistons

Reaction score
Great post bbyer! Thanks for the info and part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72