Considering LR3 SE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Granger

Hello all. Sorry to post yet another "Considering purchasing a LR3..." thread but I can't get a total picture of the reliability of the LR3.

A lot of people have mentioned "fault" messages that are cleared when the truck resets itself. Is this isolated to a couple people or if I buy an LR3 should I expect this?

Same question regarding the suspension problems.

Also, a couple people mentioned that the service experience differs a lot from dealer to dealer. Has anyone dealt with Land Rover in Cockeysville, MD?

I drove one for the first time today and was VERY impressed but questions about the reliability of the LR3 has me hesitent to pull the trigger. I don't want to spend $50K and end up driving a rental.

Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

-Granger

A

AussieLR3

I've had mine since 22nd April and done 3 off road trips. High pressured washed it numerous times (underneath and engine bay). So far not errors except for a park brake error (once) and TR not available (once). Turned it off and restarted and the error was cleared.

I haven't had corroded wiring or signs of surface rust (but then again we don't have salt on our roads in Australia).

Build date was Feb 05. The D3 has travelled 4,400km and maybe 500km was on 4WD tracks and unmade roads.

Reading other posts on other forums suggest new s/w versions are available and this has fixed a few things in the earlier builds.

I maybe one of the majority with few (if any) problems.

Chris

D

disco1

Yes you can be in the majority or minority with any model, as they all have a different personality. It's too early to tell if there are any definite design faults, other than the usual teething problems, not to mention, no doubt a heap of fault codes in the future as all the extra electronic gismos begin to play up. Personally, I would prefer to wait for 12 months. This gives the manufacturer time to sort out most bugs.

G

Granger

Thanks for the replys. I'm still not sure what direction I'm heading. My wife will be less then understanding if I buy this truck and it is in the shop as much as it is at home. Then again, everytime I test drive another suv, I keep thinking "this is just not the LR3...."

Any other owner experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Granger

C

Colt45

Granger - I think most of us went through a similiar decision process. I wanted a vehicle that would do well on the freeway (I travel a great deal) and which I could also use for towing a trailer and for going off road when fishing, camping, hunting, etc. - - I looked at BMW, Lexus, Hummer, Toyota Land Cruiser, etc. - - - I think the Land Cruiser came closest in offering the quality & features I wanted (couldn't see spending an extra $10k just to get the L on the hood when purchasing essentially the same rig in Lexus clothing. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the Hummer for the money they want for it. And, I didnt like the visibility offered.) - - - The Land Cruiser is very solid. Toyota has a great reputation for reliability. But my thought of owning one was just "**-hum", nothing very exciting. - - The LR3 just flat out impressed me when I drove it. - - - In my opinion it is the best mixed use SUV on the market - that is, one good on the freeway or off-road. (The Ulitimate Off Road vehicle is the Hummer H1.) - - - But to get the capabilities and feel that the LR3 offers, you pay a price. And that price is the uncertainty and teething problems of a new model vehicle with lots of technical features that can experience glitches. - - I've had my LR3 a week and have put about 1200 miles on it. The navigation system isn't working properly. There's no voice guidance and some of the screen choice options don't come up. I was able to use the nav system as it is to great advantage while travelling this last week. But, I will have to go into the dealer next week and have the nav system fixed. - - If the thought of having such teething problems grates on you I would buy another vehicle. If the excitement of the LR3 is worth it to you - - - then go for it. - - - But make that decision knowing that you'll be one of the "Early Adopters" whose input to the company will eventually make the 2009 LR3 incredible !

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cat

Granger... I purchased my LR3 in early October of '04 and have been pleased with the dependability of vehicle thus far. (knocking on wood while typing with one hand) My LR3 has been in shop one time for a problem with a leak around windshield that surfaced at around 6000 miles.( I also has 7500 mile oil change done during that visit) It seems as if the leak problem was corrected. (refer to "leaky windshield" thread). I have not had any other problems that I have seen reported in this forum. (knocking again). I do not have nav system since I have the SE model, but have every other available option other than park sensing. Vehicle was purchased for my wife and she is very satisfied with the quality and performance of vehicle, as I am, but she is especially satisfied with the quiet and smooth ride that it has.

L

luvmylr3

Granger,

I have had my LR3 SE since December. Have had it off road three times. So far it has been totally reliable. I did have a poor gas mileage issue that took two visits to the dealer for them to straighten out. Also in the winter after a big snow storm, alot of snow got packed under the vehicle, a engine warning light came on. I called the dealer they said to clean the snow out from under the vehicle and it would stop.. they were correct. The next time I brought it in they corrected it.

Ownership to date has been very rewarding. Enjoy the vehicle's ability and technology.

Jim

C

Colt45

Granger - - I don't know if you have made your decision or not but here's my personal experience so far - - My LR3 has been in the shop for the following reasons so far: 1- front driving lights not installed properly (loose and cut outs were very roughly made & looked terrible) also fender scratched during install. Both issues fixed by dealer, who did an excellent job. 2. - nav system not operating properly. Twice into dealership so far and still not fixed even with calls made to Land Rover Tech support.
3. - paint peeling from front bumper and front left wheel fender. Parts ordered for replacement. Driving lights (mentioned in item 1 above) will need to be reinstalled on new replacement bumper again. Sigh. - - I've had the vehicle for about 5 weeks. For 2 weeks of that time it was parked while I was away on vacation. It has about 2500 miles on it. - - - Have I just happened to run into a string of 'bad luck'? Who knows. Others haven't seemed to run into the same problems that I've experienced. - - - Even with these problems I love every time I get behind the wheel of this car. My dealer has been doing whatever they can to make things right. I'm hoping Land Rover will do the same. So far, I'm still an enthusiast and am determined to stick with it through all the teething problems. - - - If this kind of thing is something you (or your wife) couldn't tolerate . . . well that's up to you and what would work best in your situation. I'll keep you posted on what I think of Land Rover 3 months from now !

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01 SE7. One problem, the MAF failed after 3 years.

Picked up our LR3 in November. Zero issues.

G

Granger

Thanks for the update Colt. I am still shopping for the moment. It seems like i change my mind daily so until I am firmer in my decision I will stick with indecision. :)

For the most part I am not scared off by teething problems as you put it. This of course hinges on the warranty the LR3 comes with. On paper it is a very solid warranty, more so then the other trucks I am looking at. I guess it really comes down to the dealer. My probably misguided thoughts on that are, with the warranty there is minimal risk for the 4 years, giving me a chance to get out without dumping money into repairs.

I know I said that I am not too concerned with the teething issues but I will say that the two items that have me worried about going with the rover are the suspension faults and the Nav system issues. These issues seem to just keep popping up. I have no idea have prevelant they really are though, is this just a few people with earlier builds or do these problems pop up a lot?

The thing I keep coming back to is that I don't feel like there is a comperable truck that is more reliable. The other truck I am looking at is the Toyota Sequia. Hands down this truck has a better track record, however it rides like a tank. Nothing I have driven feels like the LR3.

The funny thing is as I reread what I have typed so far it seems painfully obvious that I still have no idea what to do. One minute I am ready to pull the trigger and the next I am picturing myself in my very reliable yet uninspiring Toyota. Well, due to my situation I have some time to make a decision but will have to come to some conclusion in next 2 months.

Thanks for following up and please keep me posted

-Granger

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4