Cowl Trim replacement/trouble shooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I recently replaced my cowl and followed the directions from a fellow member that was posted here and seemed to be an easy job (thanks for the instructions). Anyway, now that it's completed, when passing another car or even sitting at a traffic light, I can hear the vehicle next to me as if I had my window down. There is no wind noise at all, but there is some opening that I cannot find and assume it's something I didn't do right when replacing the cowl. I have 05 LR3 and had since new and never experienced this before nor does it happen on the driver side. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced my cowl trim twice now and have never had an issue with wind noise. You say the noise is audible at a stop, that would likely rule out a loose A pillar trim (black trim on either side of wind screen) but I would check it anyway. The top clip will break and it will lift away and make a lot of noise. I would look at the rubber weather seal that goes around the engine bay. Make sure its seated fully.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like maybe something is not quite snapped in all the way. With the doors open, check it for space and looseness. You really need to hit it with the heal of your hand to get it to snap in sometimes.

wiggle, look, and push when necessary.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up to the cowl question/issue. Thanks for the suggestions and I appreciate your time. on our family beach trip last week the noise was still there and seemed worse ( I had removed the cowl again and reinstalled it). Upon further inspection once we got there, the noise is coming from the front passenger window. it stops short on roll up a 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It can't be seen from inside the vehicle, but just visible from the outside when looking closely. At least I now have identified the problem so any suggestions to this repair is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read in the owners manual there is a calibration procedure that you can follow. I believe it is in the owners manual. Quick and short I believe you hold the window switch to roll it all the way down and hold the switch again all the way up. If that doesn't do it I would say you there is a problem with the track or motor.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one last update that perhaps will be a solution for others-- I replaced the battery and that fixed my window issue.

Earing2008

Reaction score
Thats good news. Cheap fix assuming it needed a new battery anyhow. Just an additional note for others; I had an issue with the passenger window guide so at highway speeds it sounded like the window was down. The giveaway was when the window was rolled down it would not go back up because the window would "flex" and hit the window jam causing it to default back down. Pain in my butt trying to get the dealer to diagnose it properly...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM