DCS debate: on or off when offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddvelin

Reaction score
When I posted a few weeks back for tips to take my LR3 out on my first off-road adventure, I got lots of feedback telling me to make sure I turned the DCS off before I started.

Of course I got to the course and the Land Rover instructors that were leading us through the course told us to leave it on.

I left it on and had no issues whatsoever all day long.

What pros/cons are there to turning off DCS when headed off-road?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I took my LR3 to the Badlands, in the sand dunes I had to shut it off. It wouldn't allow me any wheel spin. It would start slowing down and killed the momentum. Turned it off and went a lot further. In the mud pits it was ok either way. But in the soft stuff, I turn it off. Just my experience. One major con is that it heats up the brakes faster and gives brake fade. Overall, I think it might be better for situations where there is a major traction difference.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ddv, I love the guys at LR Seattle but they should stick to doing repairs and maintenance. Of course they will say to keep DSC on because that is the "book answer" but in many situations it's better to turn it off. Basically turn it off in "deep anything" and in soft stuff as mentioned above. Also on hill climbs because it suppresses engine output sometimes.

Your rig did fine at Tahuya with DSC on or off because Tahuya (as navigated by LR Seattle) offers no challenge to the LR3.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For beach driving in deep sand, we think the LR3 works better with the DCS off. Also, when coming close to getting stuck, it seems that terrain response off works better than sand mode. Again, it allows more wheel spin.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only that...but it works better with DSC off! :)

I had to...

I think deep sand is one example that the manual states where DSC off is the way to go.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed the Land rover experience at solihull a day ago and asked the driving instructor about DSC, here's his responce (and he did tell me he rolled a 80k range rover a year back because he forgot to turn DSC off)

1. DSC measures Yaw, wheel speed, steering input and throttle position/RPM
2. It starts to kick in when it senses too much side ways acceleration and applies the ABS and/or throttle cut to reduce speed and **** the yaw.

Turn it off whenever you think there is going to be any sideways kicks and you absolutely don't want the throttle to be cut. So basically hill climbs, deep mud, snow, sand where you will need the wheel spin to get you through it.

His story was he was going up a 45 degree hill, he just reached the top and the front wheels crested, it lost traction and stopped forward momentum so he started turning the wheels looking for some traction from the front wheels, the DSC kicked in and killed his power. When the power was lost he started to slide backwards down the hill and the front end start to turn sideways to the hill and that was enough for it to come over and roll.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For beach driving in deep sand, we think the LR3 works better with the DCS off. Also, when coming close to getting stuck, it seems that terrain response off works better than sand mode. Again, it allows more wheel spin.

In the LR4 didn't they come out with a sand mode the allows for some spin? I seem to remember a different option based on our feedback with the LR3s.

palmettorover

Reaction score
I always keep mine off- whether in the deep mud here in SC or rocky terrain of Ireland.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99