Disco 4 steering issues - this one is strange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunnar Halldors

Reaction score
My 2013 LR disco 4 has a strange steering issue. When cold in the morning it's like new. But when the engine heats up the steering becomes heavy and I need to give it gas so I can turn the wheel....
No sound when it is cold and very smooth. After 10 minutes there is a slight dimm squealing sound when turning, but disappears when rpm goes over 2000

Could it be: The power steering pulley is misaligned??

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you low on power steering fluid? Could be a leak somewhere.

Mine was the opposite, my steering felt sloppy and it turned out the steering rack was leaking fluid. With a new steering rack it now feels like it corners on rails. (Compared to how it felt before the repair)

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 LR disco 4 has a strange steering issue. When cold in the morning it's like new. But when the engine heats up the steering becomes heavy and I need to give it gas so I can turn the wheel....
No sound when it is cold and very smooth. After 10 minutes there is a slight dimm squealing sound when turning, but disappears when rpm goes over 2000

Could it be: The power steering pulley is misaligned??

could be a coolant leak causing belt to slip. I’d check water pump for failure

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you low on power steering fluid? Could be a leak somewhere.

Mine was the opposite, my steering felt sloppy and it turned out the steering rack was leaking fluid. With a new steering rack it now feels like it corners on rails. (Compared to how it felt before the repair)

Did you have a remanufactured steering rack installed, or a new unit?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99