Discovery 4 soft brakes suddenly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sceh

Reaction score
The brakes are usually pretty sharp (only 35K miles) but sometimes when maneuvering, the pedal will be soft and pumping does not help. Take the foot off and try a couple of times and it is OK. On the road so far there has been no sign of anything amiss but at very slow speeds I can stop sharp and then the next press is soft - halfway down and little braking.

Is there anything special about these brakes? The master cylinder is OK and I have already changed pads. There are no leaks, the system has been bled . What else??

The idea of getting the local LR garage to read out the ODB2 data and tell me there is nothing wrong but they want to change something anyway is not an idea I like. I have the IIDTool and there are no faults btw.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned it's not the master cylinder but my guess it couls be passing fluid past a piston seals or the vacuum brake booster starting to fail. Fluid levels in the master rock solid and at the right level? You have to apply three to four times more than normal brake pressure to stop?......~~=o&o>......