Do I need these options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwblue

Reaction score
I am building an LR4 for use in the United States.

One of the options is a "Heavy Duty Package" which includes an active locking rear differential. I am not sure I need it. What would it be useful for? I would not be off-roading a lot. The package also includes a full-size spare tire and alloy wheel.

The cost of the package is $750. Cost is not a big issue, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

What about the "Vision Assist Package."? It includes: Xenon Headlamps, Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS), Automatic High Beam Assist (AHBA), Tow Hitch Assist, Tow Assist and Surround Camera System.

What does the tow assist do? If I want a tow hitch, do I need the tow assist?

What about the surround camera system? How useful is it? Something to consider is I live in the United States where there is a lot more driving space than in most countries. I have driven an SUV for 20 years (1994 Nissan Pathfinder). Is the LR4 so significantly bigger to the point that I need a camera system?

Are the brighter lights for off-roading?

The cost of the package is $1,800

How about the 480W harman/kardon® LOGIC7® AM/FM single slot CD player with 14 speakers (includes Portable Audio Interface). Is the portable audio interface for a cell phone or music player? Is the stereo a lot better than the standard one?

The cost of that package is $900.

What does everyone think of this exterior/interior?

Stornoway Grey with Ebony interior.

extoly_us_l319_001br_n-907.jpg

intsml_us_l319_001br_n-350fv-hsepack_tcb_n-088ex.jpg

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... not sure why your original post isn't appearing... maybe you can type your question again??

If you are asking about the HD package -- I think it's a bargain for $750. I plan on going off-roading, and ordered mine with this option. But if you aren't planning on going off-roading, then I guess it's not as big of a deal. Others have reported that they do fine off-roading without the rear lockers. The full size spare is nice too.

jwblue

Reaction score
My account is messed up. Most posts don't appear.

Mods! Hellllllllllllllllllllp!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise you to get all of the packages you mentioned. The vision package is a must as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of great features in there and one I never dreamed I would like is about the most usefull of all of them; Hi-beam assist. The lights are also extreemly bright in this package and move to follow corners when you turn the steering wheel. The camera system isn't that useful as far as I'm concerned, but it a WOW for everyone that see's it.

That audio system ROCKS! I have it and I have never heard anything as nice as the sound out of this sytem.

The HD package is a bargin, get it.

Good luck!

Rob

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same color combination on a 2010 and I get a lot of compliments. I also have the black lacquer wood finish, which I think looks best. The vision package is a must, and I also find the cameras extremely helpful for parking in my garage at work. The only thing I don't have is the heavy duty package, which you only need if you're going to do some serious off-roading.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The portable audio interface is for an iPod. There is also a port to plug in a usb card with music files. I haven't heard the base system, but I really like the Logic7 system - the sound is much flatter with it turned off. I would highly recommend the premium system.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got all of those options. This is my first new vehicle in 12 years and I decided to get everything I wanted. That color combination (along with black laquer wood) was my second choice of color. I splurged and paid the extra $1k to get the Izmir Blue, which I love. They are replacing the Izmir Blue with another color in January, so my car will be somewhat unique. :proud:

jwblue

Reaction score
The Ebony interior is definitely what I like aesthetically.

However, I have a concern that since I live in Southern California, it can get warm and I don't want the seats to become extremely hot. Black attracts heat.

For those with the Ebony seats, do they become really warm when the temperatures are high?

Since I will likely drive this vehicle into the ground, I think I am going to get all the options.

Last edited:

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ebony interior is definitely what I like aesthetically.

However, I have a concern that since I live in Southern California, it can get warm and I don't want the seats to become extremely hot. Black attracts heat.

For those with the Ebony seats, do they become really warm when the temperatures are high?

Since I will likely drive this vehicle into the ground, I think I am going to get all the options.

I got mine in July and haven't had any problem with the seats getting hot that two minutes of air conditioning didn't cure. I can't see ebony vs tan making that much difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge