Do you regret keeping it past warranty?

Regret keeping it past warranty?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I'll be out of warranty in March at the rate I'm driving (about 10k per 6 months)...and with the amount of claims I've had, I know that I couldn't afford all the repairs without a warranty.

So with that....should I bother with an extended warranty, or just trade it off?

Any thoughts welcome, and thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer this question for you, because it is personal. For myself, I'd be sad without my Rover....but not having an extended warranty would've made the last 2 years really miserable for me, too.

You seem to be less happy with your LR3 than most, and certainly less happy with it than I am with mine...so maybe trading it off would be a wise choice. You could take that residual valley plus the money you would've spent on a warranty and buy something that doesn't like the shop as much.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CMGRover - you gotta quit whining and hedging your bets with your LR ownership. you're either all in or not. seems like its time to remember why you bought the LR, embrace that, and not worry about the future.. if you can't remember that original feeling, check out the top gear episode where jeremy clarkson drives the lr3 to the top of scottish highland

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents (sense?) is it also depends on the extended warranty you get. Getting an extended warranty is like buying insurance (which it is anyway), you feel you don't need it when nothing happens but it sure feels great to have when something does. Inevitably, as cars get older, they need more of that.
The trick is to get the best extended warranty insurance possible for your needs. For me, 100,000 miles and longest amount of time; though I may hit the time before the miles as I don't drive as much as I used to. Using that criteria, my research when I was exploring purchasing a Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat while I was deployed overseas led me to pick the Ford PremiumCare ESP for 7 years/100,000 miles. I leaned towards a $50-100 deductible as a price compromise. Land Rover's can also take advantage of that warranty, which is a big plus. Cost is a factor, but having had a transmission fail 250 miles into a 500 miles trip in off-track areas of southern New Mexico that would have saved me a few thousand alone.
I posted the info I got from my LR dealership on who they now recommend for an extended warranty. If you bought your LR3 from a LR dealer then check with them to see what they offer. Otherwise, bank the money you would have spent and if your LR3 is paid off keep making payments to a vehicle repair fund. That way you're self-insuring to have a nest egg of funds for any future repairs. And you can earn the interest on it too, though that's not much these days.
Go find one that fits for you....

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the ride/handling/feeling of driving the LR3...one of the best I've ever driven. I'm just worried about long term....but I'll probably get an extended warranty, can't get another vehicle for 3k for sure that I'd like as much.

Thanks for the input everyone.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my 2 warranty claims, one for $3600.00 and one for $3250.00, it clear the LR3 has its issues and can be costly to maintain. Mine is now off warranty with 97k on the odo. Based on what I've had done so far I dont expect any problems in the near future. That said, you always have to be ready for something to fail, or need to be replaced and I wouldn't be upset if I had to drop 2 or 3k tomorrow, thats just how it goes. Maybe I feel that way because mine is paid off and I dont have a monthly nut in addition to maint. and repairs. The LR3 is a Premium, high-end car, just like my Mercedes and S2000. Repairs are expensive, always have been always will be. Warrantys are great and save money, but if your not in the financial position to maintain the car you shouldn't own it.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose....my main concern is the air suspension. Engine/tranny/xfer case, I'm not worried, heck I have more confidence in this long term in that sense than what I did with my old Hemi Durango.

Then again....Landy's and Jeeps are the only thing I'll drive...so I guess hanging on is my best bet!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 18 months now out of warranty (without any extended warranty) and no regrets.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a repair breaks the bank then I've bought too much car. Remember the days when we were lucky to have a $200 VW for college? Same rules apply. I never buy warrantees because they are too expensive. Treat it right and it will last, and go slow... it's not a race car!

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some things to consider:
  • LR Dealerships are expensive
  • LR independent shops can be found
  • Maintain it and it should not be a surprise when something fails.
  • I'll never buy the first or second model year of any car....ever.
  • **** happens- so plan for it- financially and mentally
I wouldn't own a modern car that I cant fix myself or that I dont have an extended warranty on. Our last car, a Volvo XC, has a history of roaching expensive transmissions. All of the transmission on the '02-07 models are crap. The dealers deny it, Volvo denies it, but yet they still trash transmissions at an alarming rate. When the Volvo transmission started to die, we had the dealer replace it under warranty and then we sold it to buy a Certified, Pre-owned LR3 -with an extended warranty.
If you're ******* vehicles and dont take them in for regular preventative manintenance....or....you have a lemon....then get another vehicle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112